Senior Cell Design Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Envision what you could do here. At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the rare and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every single day. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? We are looking for a technical leader involved in the development and qualification of advanced designs related to lithium based rechargeable cells. Work with Advanced Technology Development group, as well as external companies, university and government agencies to establish prototype cell design and assembly methods that can be used to investigate and validate emerging technologies that have the potential to significantly impact Apple’s future portable power solutions. As the design matures, develop more automated assembly methods and equipment to increase prototype production capability and investigate viable scale up approaches.
- Ten years of direct battery cell design and material development experience including, process tracking and performance / safety characterization with emphasis on lithium ion or lithium polymer battery cells.
- Familiarity with applicable test equipment, test procedures, international standards and certified agency requirements applicable to rechargeable lithium battery products.
- Direct Experience in working with external vendors and contractors to develop and qualify cell designs for consumer applications
- Experience with applying quality tools and their application to the development and production of lithium / lithium-ion batteries including advanced design concepts
- Hands on experience with evaluating new cell designs and material concepts on both prototype and high volume production lines.
- Failure analysis experience on both prototype and production cell designs as well as development / recommendation of corrective action(s) to address identified issues
- Strong aptitude towards detailed design work with emphasis on developing, optimizing and finalizing cell design concepts for mass production.
- Ability to complete project goals and monitor overall program status goals
- Ability to work with other engineering teams to arrive at a suitable overall technology solution and battery design
- Excellent written and verbal skills a must
- Strong process oriented, data driven, work culture
- Self-starter with excellent time management skills and entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to clearly understand and concisely explain technical issues
- Ability to clearly support technical decisions based on data and results
- Competent in statistics and applicable statistical software tools
Works with cross-function teams to develop performance requirements, SOPs and data summary templates Leads engineering efforts to establish viable lithium rechargeable cell designs that can be used to evaluate materials, components and assembly methods. Using quality tools, determines process capabilities, execute DOEs to address issues and optimize settings, summarizes design qualification data and figure out capability against target criteria for acceptance Works effectively with suppliers, contractors, multi-functional groups, support staff and management to ensure that cell design(s) and associated assembly processes / equipment are developed in a timely fashion to support program needs. Conduct investigations related to advancing designs, materials and applicable assembly processes, prepare related status reports and make recommendations Assists with the transfer of cell design concepts and materials / components into prototype and high volume production lines Works with Advanced Material group to researches literature and industry for advanced technologies that may be applicable for next generation cell designs and works with vendor supply base to evaluate efficacy and readiness for use Pursues development of intellectual property to protect technology developments and secure competitive position
Education & Experience
MS in Material Science, Electrochemistry, Chemical Engineering or better
- Travel to suppliers and manufacturing facilities expected