Cell Design Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Leadership position responsible for the oversight of a talented and experienced engineering team that is responsible for the development and qualification of advanced Li-ion cell designs from the concept stage to production ramp. The ideal individual will be well versed in Li-ion battery technology from a design, material and production perspective. Solid experience in working with internal cross-functional teams and external international vendors to qualify cell designs into high volume production is also a prerequisite.
- Seven plus years experience in battery design engineering and qualifying new designs into production. Familiarity with high volume production processes and methods related to rechargeable Li-ion cells preferred.
- Three plus years in leading an engineering team and coordinating engineering staff activities.
- Ability to perform effectively in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Strong proficiency in quality tools knowledge as applied to new product development and manufacturing systems including SPC, design of experiments and statistical analysis
- Experience in managing multiple development programs with internal engineering groups and external technology development partners and vendors.
- Motivated, self-starter with excellent time management skills and strong process and data driven approach to areas of focus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills combined with the ability to clearly and accurately explain technical issues.
- Ability to mentor and grow capability and productivity of engineering staff.
• Assume lead role in coordinating engineering staff activities related to new cell design development, production qualification and field support. • Work with internal cross-functional teams from mechanical, electrical, product design, supplier quality engineering and supplier operation groups to establish design details, design specifications and vendor selection. • Coordinate cell engineering support during cell design development / qualification with respect to verification of production process capability, design specification conformance and integration into packs / devices. • Prepare updates related to cell design development / qualification programs underway, report and make recommendations as required. • Work with external vendor base to foster collaboration of engineering efforts, set expectation of performance and provide constructive feedback to improve productivity, product quality and conformance to program schedules. • Coordinate technology transfer of next generation designs, materials and processes into the cell design development / qualification process, ensure that all supporting documentation is updated to reflect design changes and practices. • Define staffing requirements and work to identify, recruit and hire to support activities as required. • Work to identify new technologies and processes to address issues encountered during cell design qualification and / or to improve productivity, performance and abuse tolerance. Where applicable, work to establish related intellectual property.
Education & Experience
Master's or Ph.D. in Chemical, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering