ISP Architect - Platform Architecture
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you love crafting elegant solutions to highly complex challenges? Are you a big-picture visionary who understands how each element affects all the others? At Apple, our Architecture group is responsible for connecting our hardware and software into one unified system. Join this team, and you’ll collaborate with engineers across Apple to design how all of our technologies work in unison. You’ll drive development of our renowned system-on-a-chip architecture and develop algorithms for platform power, performance, and thermal management. You’ll develop forward-looking prototype systems as well as build and deploy software development tools that will be distributed to the Apple engineering community. Join this team, and you’ll help build the seamless technology experiences we’re known for worldwide. In this role, you will develop HW for the next generation of digital image processing, particularly related to consumer photography. Devise new processing techniques, invent hardware architectures, evaluate and debug new approaches, and develop practical implementations that are precisely specified. Devise ways to dial-in existing hardware for good performance.
- Understanding of each stage of a camera image processing pipeline including auto exposure, auto white-balance, autofocus, demosaic, scaling, etc and possess the ability to invent new breakthrough techniques in image processing hardware. Machine vision and computational photography expertise would be highly useful.
- Good Matlab
- Good C programming
- Deep understanding of ISP and image processing algorithms
- Image processing algorithm development (white balance, exposure, focus, black level estimation, noise filtering, color correction, tone mapping, and color space conversion)
- Color science
- Hardware development
- Some background in objective image quality measurement and subjective image quality psychophysics
- CMOS camera sensor background
- Optics background is useful
Create detailed hardware specifications suitable for efficient and practical implementation. Model the specification in C. Develop a testing plan to prove that the architecture can produce high quality results. Assist the RTL team with debugging and working around problems. Closely support the Verilog implementers. Work with the power team to understand and improve the architecture and use modes. Work with the image quality and software teams to understand their requirements and to improve the designs. Develop excellent C-code in a production environment with tight deadlines.
Education & Experience
PhD or Masters with 3+ years experience