Packaging Engineer - Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, fluent in English.
- Possess a tenacity and curiosity to solve seemingly impossible problems.
- Past experience developing materials such as moulded fibre, bio-based materials, cushioning materials, or polymer replacements. Consideration given to candidates showing deep experience developing other technologies from lab scale to mass production.
- Experience in fixture design, equipment design, or manufacturing/process optimization a plus.
- Expertise in development or quality control of highly cosmetic components highly regarded.
- Demonstrated ability to use and implement statistical and data analysis tools to cull sense from chaos, to make data driven decisions where no one else saw the trend.
- Ability and willingness to work independently and travel (domestic + international) frequently.
- Proven leader, demonstrable on previous projects defining and closing all engineering tasks to meet objectives, detailed oriented to cut to the root of problems, and ability to learn quickly with little information or support.
Apple is seeking a manufacturing engineer to develop, scale and especially innovate within the packaging space. In this highly visible role, you will manage R&D, selection, and implementation of manufacturing & quality processes for consumer packaging of our legendary products. Develop innovative solutions that enable Apple’s long term Environmental and Product goals, including but not limited to fibre based materials, lowering Apple’s environmental impact, and closed-loop manufacturing life cycle. You'll research new materials, technologies, and suppliers, to identify, predict and mitigate issues early in the development cycle, diving deep to understand roadblocks, process capabilities, and the limits of technologies. Lead R&D efforts in material or technology development and create initial prototypes for review with design teams and realize it through an actual program. Own creation of the entire manufacturing process, from raw material to final assembly. Create processes, tooling, equipment, and quality systems to transform lab scale technologies into ready for mass production solutions. You will interact with Industrial Design, Product Design, and Vendors to enable the most innovative packaging designs on the market. Coordination of activities between US-based teams and worldwide teams/suppliers is a necessity.
Education & Experience
Bachelors degree or above in Material / Mechanical / Packaging Engineering or equivalent work experience.