Software Engineer - Apple Media Products Data Engineering (New York City)
New York City, New York, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Apple Media Products is the team behind the App Store, Apple Music, and many other high profile products on iPhone, Mac and AppleTV. We are looking for talented, performance-savvy, engineers to build out the big data platform and services which power many of these customer features — existing and new. This is your opportunity to help engineer highly transparent global-scale systems with petabytes of data, supporting hundreds of millions of users. Be a part of an innovative impactful team making a difference.
- Significant experience in designing, implementing and supporting highly scalable data systems and services in Java and/or Scala
- Experience of any of the following is an advantage:
- Hadoop-ecosystem technologies in particular MapReduce, Spark / Spark-SQL / Spark Streaming, Hive, YARN/MR2
- Development of high-throughput, secure web-services, with REST, in particular DropWizard, Jetty, http://vertx.io
- Experience with low-latency NoSQL datastores and traditional relational databases is a plus, in particular Druid, Cassandra, Voldemort or HBase
- Building and running large-scale data pipelines, including distributed messaging such as Kafka, data ingest to/from multiple sources to feed batch and near-realtime/streaming compute components
- Knowledgable about distributed storage and network resources, at the level of hosts, clusters and DCs, to troubleshoot and prevent performance issues
- Data-modeling and data-architecture optimized for big data patterns (warehousing concepts; efficient storage and query on HDFS; data security and privacy techniques)
You will be responsible for designing and implementing features that rely on processing and serving very large datasets, so an awareness of scalability is required. This will include building systems to model, ingest, process and compute large-scale, mission-critical data across Apple Music. High-throughput and reliability are essential. You will enjoy the benefits of working in a fast growing business where you are inspired to “Think Different” to pursue very interesting technical challenges and where your efforts play a key role in the success of Apple’s business. You should be able to engineer innovative solutions while playing a hands-on development role to deliver products in a dynamic environment. Leadership is important for this position as you will be asked to provide technical mentorship and standard methodologies. You will have to interact with other groups on an ongoing basis on both technical and non-technical levels. Good verbal and written communication are important to this position.
Education & Experience
BS in Computer Science or equivalent, MS preferred.