Web Application Developer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple’s Marketing Communications Tools & Systems team is looking for a Ruby on Rails engineer who loves solving operational problems by building robust and flexible applications. Our team builds the internal-facing web applications that help plan, track, execute, secure and analyze the iconic marketing work you see every day. You’ll join a dynamic team wearing many hats throughout the day. We architect, code, deploy, refactor and enhance our code constantly. We take initiatives to help define and organize the work by collaborating closely with our users to learn their world and help them automate their processes. Our team is tuned for high velocity and flexibility, pragmatic, iterating and evolving with the business yet making sure that our applications are robust and sustainable.
- Demonstrated experience building robust Ruby on Rails applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience leading projects and interacting with users
- A knack for writing clean, readable Ruby code
- Experience with automated testing and common library such as RSpec
- Superb source management skills with git
- Practical knowledge of object-oriented programming and design
- Experience working collaboratively within a dev team
- Caring about every element of the application lifecycle including the initial idea, prototyping, deployment, enhancements, training, support and maintenance
- Communicating directly with users to gain a deep understanding of their problems, to drive innovation on features, enhancements, demos, release communications and support them
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Ruby code
- Designing UI and workflows in collaboration with users and team members
- Mentoring team members in new technologies or approaches, reviewing code and giving feedback within the team
- Helping users and application troubleshooting through scheduled support rotations
- Experience with web performance, caching techniques and browser handling of etags, cache expiration headers, etc.
- DevOps or other server infrastructure management/automation experience
- Strong understanding of web application deployment environments: Apache/Nginx, Ruby app servers, MySQL, Postgres, Memcached, Redis
- Understanding of network stack, web server tuning, load balancing
In this role you will play a key part in the creation of workflow and management tools that enable Apple’s marketing team to focus on creativity and execution. You will be expected to build a solid understanding of the business, to iterate quickly, create flexible and integrated tools that helps solve complicated technical and workflow problems simply. You are an excellent communicator, give and take feedback well and articulate your ideas clearly? You love to get things done, act pragmatically and with attention to details? You love to prototype, change, rethink and refine on yours and others ideas? Is testing your norm, your way to set a solid ground, and not an afterthought? You care about user experience, ease of use and efficiency? Look no further.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's Degree preferred, or equivalent experience