Process Development Engineer, Battery Materials Deposition
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Envision what you could do here. At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the rare and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every single day. As a key member of battery material development team, develop new deposition methods to form cathode materials to meet future Apple’s battery technology needs. Work with world-class R&D teams and industry partners to develop deposition process for advanced cathode materials for Apple’s future products. Play a central role in material research and deposition process development for a unique dry powder processing that requires both material and a vacuum deposition process equipment expertise.
- Hands-on R&D deposition process and equipment development experience
- Experience and knowledge in solid state ionics material and characterization
- Experience in nanoparticle synthesis, powder handling and gas/powder mixture aerosol flow
- Experience in nano-powder mixing, coating process and characterization.
- Experience in ceramic sintering process, grain boundary control and nano-structure characterization
- Ability to use contemporary and industry standard process monitoring, data acquisition and statistical analysis tools to characterize hardware and chemical interactions
- Ability to define numerical and CAE tool based process modeling to predict process results
- Self-starter that can carry out tasks with minimal guidance
- Knowledge of lab, chemical, equipment and facility safety
- Ability to create engineering documents. Material specification, equipment requirement, contractor statement of work, white paper (instructions), etc..
- Ability to work closely with others in a cross-functional team environment
Work in both internal and external lab to optimize source material, film property and deposition equipment to drive a method to form an advanced battery cathode material Optimizing material for the deposition process by synthesizing, post processing, modifying and / or mixing Working with other teams to optimize interface characteristics for the both side of the films Working with engineering teams to create computer added engineering (CAE) models to optimize hardware Operate in-situ diagnostic tools to characterize the deposition process Creating engineering documents Design experiments, optimize parameters, organize data and perform statistical analysis Travel to suppliers and contract R&D facilities expected 30% of time
Education & Experience
MS in Material Science, Electrochemistry, Chemical Engineering or better.
- Travel to suppliers and manufacturing facilities expected