Linux System Administrator- SRE
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you love creating elegant solutions to highly complex challenges? Do you intrinsically see the importance in every detail? As part of our Silicon Technologies group, you’ll help design and manufacture our next-generation, high-performance, power-efficient processor, system-on-chip (SoC). You’ll ensure Apple products and services can seamlessly and efficiently handle the tasks that make them beloved by millions. Joining this group means you’ll be responsible for crafting and building the technology that fuels Apple’s devices. Together, you and your team will enable our customers to do all the things they love with their devices. The Hardware Technology Compute and Storage Group has a rare opportunity available for a customer service oriented Site Reliability Engineer to join our operations team. Your diverse background in system administration, excellent communication skills, a sense of ownership, and a commitment to produce your best work will make you a success at Apple. This role is for someone who loves to analyze and troubleshoot a broad spectrum of problems. You will join an existing, best-in-class team dedicated to supporting the geographically diverse silicon design teams within Apple. Please highlight your Linux Admin experience on your resume.
- 5+ years of broad experience in system administration supporting Linux (RedHat/CentOS preferred) (to include automated OS installation, software compilation, package management, virtualization, OS lifecycle management, diagnostic and performance troubleshooting/profiling)
- Minimum 2+ years of working with and maintaining common monitoring tools (Nagios, Zenoss, Ganglia, Splunk, etc.)
- Minimum of 2+ years of working with and maintaining configuration management tools (Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Salt, etc.)
- Broad experience supporting and maintaining common Linux/Unix applications and services, as well as a deep understanding of DNS, DHCP, LDAP, NFS, AutoFS, Kerberos, PAM, PXE, SNMP, SSH, VNC, X11, HTTP/S, and NTP
- Experience with shell scripting, interpreted, or complied language such as Bash, Perl, Ruby, Python, Go, C, or C++
- Experience with common version control software such as Git, CVS, SVN, or Perforce
- Knowledge and experience with NFS and NAS storage appliances (NetApp or EMC preferred) a plus
- Understanding of networking layers 1 through 3
- Strong ability to collaborate and be a strong team member
In this highly visible role you will: - Support internal hardware engineering teams by enhancing, maintaining, performance tuning, and planning capacity of the engineering compute environment - Support and improve the Hardware Technology engineering environment from design through deployment, including additional refinement and scale-up to support future growth - Support the day-to-day operations of the environment including monitoring, measuring, and troubleshooting infrastructure and services - Automate all the things by identifying, owning, collaborating, and driving new or further automation to enhance the consistent stability of the environment - Achieve and maintain expected productivity levels with minimal supervision - Act as a mentor and interact with people of all levels of ability - Participate in a regular on-call rotation to support the infrastructure 24/7
Education & Experience
BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.