DevOps Software Engineer
Austin, Texas, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Every single day, people do amazing things at Apple. Do you want to impact billions of users by developing an extraordinary product with a prime focus on accuracy, understandability and performance of the product? Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Apple is looking for a DevOps Software Engineer to join the Global Network Services (GNS) team. You will work in a small-ish team environment and be responsible for supporting Apple’s CDN and DNS Infrastructure. This person will need to excel in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with the ability to multi-task and develop software and provide operational support across a complex, global infrastructure. You are a collaborative teammate that will work across multi-functional groups and have the ability and willingness to mentor others and have a sound business approach for supporting a global deployment. The role is primarily a (C++) developer role, but our developers work as close as possible with operations teams. We use C++, Go, Python, Perl, and other tools as the work requires.
- 8+ years experience with “internet infrastructure”
- Ability to work independently but also within a team environment
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Creative analytical skills
- Extensive hands-on experience with solutions in regards to large scale internet infrastructure
- Proven UNIX skills (Linux and/or FreeBSD)
- Proven C or C++ development skills
- Interest or experience with Go (golang), Python, and/or Perl programming
- Knowledge of IP/IPv6 networking, DNS (servers and protocol), and BGP Anycast a plus
- Experience with standard change management and configuration policies (get work done while not breaking things)
- Experience with monitoring tools (both open source and commercial)
Your main responsibility will be the development and maintenance of our DNS GSLB and CDN software and tools. You will work in a team supporting the global Content Delivery Network and DNS infrastructure and be part of on-call rotation. In addition, you will motivate changes in accordance with our change management practices, participate on implementation teams to integrate new designs into production with minimal impact to operations, develop written procedures and standards, and directly interface and coordinate with other internal business groups and external partners.
Education & Experience
BA/BS; technical degree preferred or equivalent experience.