Hardware Design Engineer (Video)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Are you passionate about building world class video products? Do you have experience architecting products such as Blu-Ray players, televisions, video switchers, set-top boxes, or hardware video processors? Do you deeply understand the architecture of these designs? If so, then we have the perfect role for you. The Apple TV system integration team is looking for exceptional senior electrical engineers to complement our world-class engineering team. In this role, he/she will contribute their deep understanding of video engineering to drive silicon decisions, provide technical leadership in architecting video based products, develop robust and scalable schematics, provide technical guidance during layout, teach and mentor junior engineers, and collaborate with a vast cross-functional team to deliver the worlds best, most optimized, designs.
- Do you have 10+ years overall experience developing products as a system integrator?
- You have architectural knowledge of video based product design and strong EE fundamentals with an interest in teaching junior engineers.
- Does your experience include ASIC or SOC architectures, specifically with HW video encoders/decoders, video pipelines, display pipelines, multi-image blending strategies, CPU, and GPU?
- You have been a hardware and software architectures for video processing including color space conversion, scaling, frame rate conversion, noise reduction, blending, and more.
- Your strong verbal and written communication skills give you an ability to work cross-functionally and collaborate in our flat organization.
- Must have deep electrical and protocol knowledge of current and emerging DisplayPort and HDMI standards, and their supporting specifications (including, but not limited to CTA-861, VESA E-EDID, E-DDC, DisplayID, and CVT, etc.)
- Experience with leading architecture, electrical design, and characterization of the following areas: DisplayPort, Embedded DisplayPort (eDP), HDMI1.4b and HDMI2.0b, S/PDIF, ARC, USB-C, I2S, DDR3/4, LPDDR3/4/4x, PCIe gen1/2/3, USB2/3, parallel-NAND, eMMC, I2C/SPI/UART buses, and power
- Your hands-on experience in prototype bring-up and debugging, functional verification and manufacturing support, as it relates to video products.
- Must have experience designing high volume products from beginning to end
- Expertise in board CAD tools, preferably Concept & Allegro
- Expert with High-Definition Content Protection (HDCP) is much preferred
- Expertise in signal integrity and simulation is our preference
- Expert in RF design for BT, BTLE, and WLAN is preferred
- Expertise in DC/DC power design is preferred
- Proficiency in use of oscilloscopes, logic and protocol analyzers
As a member of our team, you will contribute to every aspect of system engineering. You will apply your engineering expertise and work with cross-functional teams to realize products that consumers will love. You will solve challenging engineering problems by selecting components, designing schematics, directing layout, and bringing-up/debugging circuits in the lab. You will collaborate with a large number of groups including PD, DFM, RF Design, OPS, Software, HW Test, etc. to bring a product from concept to mass production. You will define and influence custom, future silicon. You will go beyond the industry norm and demonstrate creativity in problem solving, ability to think dynamically and outside of standard convention, and adapt quickly to new technical areas. You will provide mentorship and technical leadership to our engineers. Occasional travel internationally to work with our manufacturing partners is expected.
Education & Experience
B.S., M.S., or PhD in Electrical or Computer Engineering with relevant experience