Motion/Location Sensing Engineering Program Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Why Apple? In this critical role, you will play a key part in defining the Motion Sensing roadmap and landscape for next generations of Apple consumer electronics, products such as iPad, iPhone, and Watch, providing Apple customers with the best user-experience in the industry. Lead development of state-of-the-art Sensing technologies such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, pressure sensors and magnetometers. Work with world leading suppliers and multi-functional system teams at Apple from inception to launch. As the Engineering Program Manager you handle and lead specifying, developing, characterizing, integrating and validating motion sensing systems at module and system level. Facilitate top-level feature integration and multi-functional communications. Our team features a reciprocal environment with creative people which work closely with multi-functional teams across Apple on state of the art technologies. This team defines and integrates (mainly MEMS based) magnetic, piezo and capacitive sensors across a variety of Apple products. Engineering quality, technical curiosity and thoroughness are expected and inspired as well as invention and patent creation. Opening up the boundaries to design and ship innovative products with best-in-class technologies and user experiences is the main goal of this sensing technology team at Apple. Come, join us in moving the needle and crafting solutions the world doesn’t know of yet!
- Product development/engineering experience and proven track record and ability in shipping semi-conductor, sensing and other related hardware.
- Technical background (e.g. hardware development) with knowledge of sensing technologies preferred.
- Fundamental knowledge and experience in physics, mechanical, electrical, and material science engineering.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to filter and distill relevant information for the right audience.
- Ability to navigate in ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic with proven creative and critical thinking capabilities.
- Solid problem solving, failure analysis, and debugging skills.
- You are able to fit in well with a team, understand capabilities and priorities while cultivating a collaborative environment.
- Great interpersonal, leadership skills, ability to encourage and align team members.
- Familiarity with data collection, data analysis, and statistical analysis tools (Matlab, Python, JMP).
- The willingness and ability to travel internationally are required.
Lead and align multi-functional teams including electrical, mechanical, process, reliability, software and firmware engineering to deliver state-of-the-art sensing solutions and integrate them into new platforms. Act as a liaison between multi-functional teams, consistently communicate overall program status and ensure tight inter-team coordination. Define the program plan/schedule and manage program execution. Help deliver executive communication/presentations and drive the decision-making process. Handle and support engineering development builds leading to mass production keeping track of engineering activities such as performance validation, yield optimization, and failure analysis. Work with suppliers and system teams to actively identify and resolve issues. Handle multiple overseas suppliers and vendors in preparation for, and execution of, development builds and new sensor development. Support internal proof-of-concept hardware and software developments for new application investigations. Ability to resolve conflicts, inter-dependencies and program issues quickly and efficiently. Work with the multi-functional teams to identify and mitigate program risks. Effectively react to unexpected changes in the program due to outside influences and/or issues that arise. Work with engineering management to define roadmaps. Improve the system: look for patterns, offer standard methodologies and implement change.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (MS and PhD preferred). 5-10 years industry experience in a related discipline (e.g. EE, ME, etc.) required. Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here. Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you are applying for a position in San Francisco, please click here. Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more. Apple's committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more. Apple is a drug-free workplace. Learn more.