Battery Technology, Battery Algorithm Test Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? Do you like changing the game? Envision what you could do here. At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. In this role you will utilize your skills as a validation engineer to develop test plans to validate battery packs for next generation consumer electronic products. In addition to developing strategy and executing test-plans for R&D team, responsibilities include interpreting electronic specifications, developing validation plans, reviewing and approving battery pack designs, performing validation tests and analyzing and reporting test results.
- We are looking for an individual experienced in electronic circuit development and/or design, testing and qualification with mixed signal (embedded microcontroller plus analog) systems.
- Familiarity with Lithium-based battery technologies and charging requirements is a plus but not a requirement.
- Proven experience with portable consumer electronic products or large format batteries will be an advantage but not a requirement for deserving individual.
- Background in Battery Management Systems hardware is a plus but not a requirement Deep understanding of EE test equipment and use and appropriate application. (Oscilloscopes, meters, data-loggers, power supplies, etc.)
- Familiarity with test platforms such as "ATE" (automated test equipment) utilizing data acquisition and instrumentation control software such as LabVIEW or similar test scripting. Familiarity with battery cycle test equipment is desired.
- Good knowledge of inter-module communications protocols like SM bus, I2C and others. Some electronics design experience preferred with ability to review schematics and electronic board layout designs
- We will consider individual with background (any of the following):
- Portable consumer electronics, Medical Electronics, Automotive Electronics Batteries, Power Electronics and Power Supplies
- Embedded controllers
- Relies on data to rationalize technical decisions
- Ability to clearly explain technical issues
- Knowledge in statistical analysis
We are looking for someone who will write validation plans and test procedures to verify conformance to the design requirements based on supplied product specifications. Responsible for benchmarking R&D technology, includes cycle life testing and HW qualification. Investigate charge technologies and responsible for developing strategy for evaluation and supervising testing of chargers. Understand charger PMIC HW requirements and help with development of charger HW control algorithm. Reviews internal validation data and writes report. Conducts investigations and prepares reports to support investigations. Writes plans, co-develops procedures and analyzes data for validation activities to qualify for products. Reviews and approves design requirements. Reviews schematics and layout, to verify conformance to the design requirements and to determine testability. Reviews simulations and calculations to verify conformance to the design requirements.
Education & Experience
MS or BS Degree in technical discipline