Plastics Tooling Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Location: Santa Clara Valley, California, United States Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Job Summary In this high visible role you will lead the development of new plastic injection tooling projects to meet a wide range of product performance and cosmetic requirements.
- 10+ years in the mold making and molding industry
- Proficient with the use of Design For Manufacturing, SPC, DOE and Six Sigma techniques
- Extensive experience in tooling design and manufacturing required as well as in developing plastic processing parameters
- Knowledge of plastic materials and design for manufacturing in terms of geometry and cosmetic quality
- Experience in managing complex development programs with overseas vendors (Asia) is preferred
- Excellent written and oral interpersonal skills are necessary
- Frequent travel to Asia is required
Lead Apple suppliers to design and produce world-class plastic tooling. Manage tool design and build, tool and process development and tool qualifications at the supplier. Collaborate with supply management, product design, industrial design, and manufacturing engineering groups on material selection, design feasibility and aesthetics of new plastic part & tooling designs. Serve as Apple’s internal plastic tooling and manufacturing expert by leveraging a deep understanding of properties of various mold-making materials and tool component fabrication techniques. Institute continuous process improvement measures from initial product design through production ramp of new products. Take the leading role in driving the improvement of productivity and quality of plastic part manufacturing, molding and tooling techniques. Train engineers at supplier plants in Asia to utilize new tooling materials and fabrication techniques. Develop collaborative relationships with Apple suppliers through training and quality control visits. Advise supplier plants on maintaining correct controls on the processes.
Education & Experience
BS or MS Plastics Engineering preferred
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you are applying for a position in San Francisco, please click here.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace. Learn more.