Sr Manager, Manufacturing Design Engineer (MDE)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Location: Santa Clara Valley, California, United States Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Job Summary The Module Components Manufacturing Design Engineers (MDEs) are responsible for the development and implementation of key production processes in a high volume environment for Apple Module Components that go into all Apple Products. The MDE manager is to build and manage a team of MDEs to work with different module groups to identify component designs that require special manufacturing processes and engage with vendors to execute to the desired specifications.
- 8+ years experience supporting new product launches from a manufacture engineering or product development perspective
- 4+ years experience in leading a group of engineers
- Experience with fabricating parts or jigs, fixtures, tooling, injection molding, plastics, ceramics, machine shop (CNC, mills, lathes)
- Experience with automation and secondary operations such as polishing, laser etching, de-burring, blasting, laser welding, glue dispensing
- Proven understanding of DOE, GD&T, SPC and mechanical fabrication techniques
- Experience in working with Asian suppliers is a +
- Program management background is considered a +
In this highly visible role, you will have direct frequent communication and collaboration with Apple Industrial Design, Product Design, Manufacturing Design and worldwide suppliers. You will utilize your manufacturing background in the following areas; both leading your own projects as well as coach and develop your team members: Process Development: Assess the suitability of a fabrication technology for a given part design Plan validation exercises to demonstrate process feasibility and capability Plan, propose, and lead experiments to produce analyses used to drive design, development, and supply chain decisions Review progress of development activities at supplier locations and serve as point of contact for critical process related issues New Product Introduction: Acts as lead engineer to drive process development and capability assessment activities, reviewing part design documentation to ensure alignment with process capability Assign specific tasks and work with Apple suppliers to support process development and/or data gathering activities. Set clear goals for results and provide timely reviews of performance throughout program Establish validation procedures to determine acceptance of processes into development builds as well as mass production Supplier Execution: Review supplier tool design, process flow, equipment selection, DFM, and DOE proposals Identify shortfalls and corrective actions to ensure design compliance. Work with supplier engineering teams to map out process development exercises, secure resources, and commit to schedules in line with program goals Assess supplier readiness to support build events and production ramp. Identify potential execution issues and provide recommendations to mitigate risk.
Education & Experience
MSME/BSME, or equivalent. MBA a +, but not required.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you are applying for a position in San Francisco, please click here.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace. Learn more.