Return to Work Program- Embedded Software Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Returning to a career after extended time off? Welcome back — and welcome to Apple. Whether you took time off for your family, military service, education, health, or a personal passion project, we value your entire life experience. After all, Apple’s culture depends on a wide range of talent and perspectives. It’s our diverse collective of thinkers and doers that makes innovation possible. That’s why we created the Apple Return to Work program. It features full-time, paid 17-week returnships that provide mentorship, professional development, and networking opportunities, as well as employee benefits. Eligible applicants will have at least five years of relevant work experience and have taken a career break of two or more years. Apple's embedded firmware/software team is looking for an exceptional software engineer to drive cutting-edge technology for Apple products. Working on core technologies, you'll have the opportunity to make a major impact in the way that Apple develops, tests and manufactures its products. Our environment fosters product innovation, rapid product iteration and a liberating amount of autonomy.
- Passionate about embedded software development
- Proficiency in C/C++
- Understanding of UEFI and the x86 platform
- Knowledge of Intel CPU and device power management
- Experience developing device drivers
- Experience with debuggers such as gdb, lldb, etc.
- Familiarity with scopes and logic analyzers
- Able to comprehend hardware specs and schematics
- Familiarity with standard hardware protocols (USB, uart, spi, i2c, PCIe, mipi, HDMI, DDR)
- Familiarity with some form of scripting (bash, Perl, Python)
- Ability to deliver on tight schedules
- Excellent collaborative skills, should be a great teammate
- Extraordinary written and verbal communication
In this role you will implement software and drivers for common firmware interfaces, chipsets, communications protocols and various SoC IPs. You will also implement features to support hardware testing and diagnosis of Apple’s mobile devices. This is a highly multi-functional role and you’ll work closely with various teams, like EE, Systems Engineering, Hardware Testing, QA, Factory, Manufacturing and Operations. The environment is dynamic, fast-paced and requires a self starter attitude. The international travel requirement is 10-20% (flexible and product dependent).
Education & Experience
BS/MS in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent. 2+ years of industry experience in a similar role.