Softgoods Materials Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple’s Softgoods Engineering team is relatively new to Apple. We work with textiles, leather, silicone and soft polymers. Our mission is to use these incredible materials to enable new product categories, and to enhance Apple’s existing product lines. Bringing Apple engineering and precision to products made of soft materials is an exciting challenge and requires a creative and open-minded approach. We have a talented team of people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We all work together in a beautiful customized lab where we design, engineer and develop the best softgoods products in the world. We are seeking a hardworking engineer to develop the next generation of materials in the areas of textiles, polyurethanes, and coatings. The Softgoods team is directly responsible for the research, development, and design of new materials to use at Apple for an array of products from cases & covers for iPhones and iPads to Watch Bands & Home Pod. The team engages in material selection, characterization, troubleshooting, and the direction of supplier relationships. Our unique position within the organization allows us to closely collaborate with Softgoods Product Design engineers on a wide range of products used by millions of people worldwide. You will prioritize, engage in hands-on project-based work, and strategize regarding supplier relationships. You are comfortable with ambiguity, and skilled in working through it in order to bring clarity to your teams and peers. Every day, you will engage in collaborative work with a range of communication styles and personalities, utilize your fluency in material structure/properties, testing, and characterization, and demonstrate advanced knowledge of material and manufacturing processes. We encourage anyone who is passionate about sustainability and the environment, establishing relationships, and approaching problem solving with curiosity and imagination to apply. We value people with a desire to learn new skills and a mindset that challenging questions are opportunities for insight. To that end, we are committed to professional development across all aspects of materials and communication, with mentorship and training opportunities both within and outside Apple.
- 5+ years of experience in Materials Engineering
- Strong experience in material development
- Ability to lead highly specialized projects
- Expertise with chemical processes used in textile development a plus
- Ability to apply technical breadth and depth to correlating textile constructions to performance
- Skilled in problem solving techniques
- New technology/material scoping, including evaluation of supplier capabilities
- In-depth understanding of material structure and property/performance relationship
- Strong background in characterizing and specifying materials and performance in quantitative terms
- Experience developing materials for high volume manufacturing
- Ability to juggle multiple projects with overseas vendors
- Highly effective communication skills; ability to clearly explain complex issues to a variety of audiences, think about the big picture when communicating, and report technical details succinctly
- Proven track record in peer collaboration and partnerships; willingness to solicit input and accept feedback
- Working both independently and collaboratively on tight deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail and resolution to tackle complex problems
Establish and manage relationships with manufacturers/suppliers to identify new technologies. Collaborate with them on the development of new technologies to meet Apple’s product roadmap needs Develop impactful environmentally-responsible material solutions Collaborate with product design and manufacturing operations groups on material selection, design feasibility and manufacturing process development Visit factories to fully understand their technical capabilities, quality requirements and resolve difficult production-related issues Work with operations teams to evaluate and develop supply chain
Education & Experience
• Masters degree or PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Polymer/Materials Science or related fields. Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.