Mechanical Design Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming amazing products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. You bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. We are responsible for all research, design, development, test, and qualification of camera hardware for Apple products. We are seeking a mechanical engineer to design camera hardware modules and component parts. You will work on the design of Optical Image Stabilization (OIS), advanced mechanisms and actuator technologies for our products.
- You will have strong mechanical engineering background with at least 5+ years of experience with design and leading products with electro-mechanical devices. Your experience with cameras or actuators such as MEMS, VCMs, and Piezo will be a definite plus.
- Skills in mechanical design, CAD, tolerance analysis, design for assembly/mass production and design for reliability will be useful and having experience in NX is a bonus.
- Having basic knowledge of FEA, dynamics and controls along with hands-on machine shop experience will be helpful.
- Skills in production testing, FA/CA, reliability and qualifying our systems along with ability to design parts for injection molding.
- In-depth understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing. This includes doing TA on complex and precise mechanical designs.
- Excellent documentation skills, including manufacturing and inspection drawings.
Our team design and put together mechanical parts of camera modules, optical image stabilisation (OIS) actuators, module structures, and packaging using CAD. Our team is also responsible for the component and complex system specification. This includes engineering and qualifying the product within performance, manufacture, reliability and schedule boundaries. We collaborate with our broader team and manufacturing vendors on daily basis. Other responsibilities include but not limited to: - Designing of injection molded, sheet metal, and other component parts. - Authoring of detailed 2D manufacturing as well as inspection on drawings, including clear documentation on mechanical inspection and test requirements. - Rigorous tolerance analysis of module designs and individual components. - Collaborate component parts and camera manufacturing partners on design manufacturability and resolution of mechanical issues. - Direct Finite Element Analysis (FEA) engineers on evaluation of camera designs.
Education & Experience
BS/MS/PhD in Mechanical engineering or related field.
- Occasional travel to manufacturing partners is required.