Regulatory Hardware Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple's Wireless Design team is seeking a Regulatory Hardware Engineer with a strong foundation and a demonstrable passion for the overall system performance of regulatory and compliance certification for building new technologies across a wide variety of products, for various wireless technologies including Cellular, WiFi, BT, Inductive charging and NFC. Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Every single day, people do amazing things at Apple. Do you want to impact billions of users by developing an extraordinary product with a prime focus on accuracy, understandability and performance of the product? You will become part of a hands-on development team that furthers engineering perfection, creativity and innovation. Dynamic, inspiring people and innovative technologies are the norm here. We want you to join our team if you are a resourceful engineer with the desire to research and develop solutions that do not yet exist. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish.
- Solid understanding of RF hardware and system design. Some HW system design experience is helpful.
- Experience in antenna and system design and simulation, such as STK, CST, HFSS, and MatLab.
- Understanding of applicable worldwide regulatory standards in relation to our products and requirements to carry a product to certification is a plus.
- Solid understanding of RF component characteristics and behavior. Experience with performing RF measurements in both conducted and radiated environments.
- Hands-on experience is a plus. Ability to perform hands-on disassembly and make experimental modifications to intricate hardware.
- Understanding of EM and antenna theory inside portable wireless devices is a plus
- Experience with RF lab equipment including spectrum analyzer, power meter, network analyzer, vector signal generator/analyzer, oscilloscope, cellular box, and/or WiFi/GPS emulator.
- Basic technical reporting, presentation and communication skills.
- Energy and drive to thrive in start-up environment. Highly motivated, a self-starter, and a team player.
You would be tasked with understanding all applicable wireless technologies (such as IEEE 802.11, Bluetooth,NFC, GSM, UMTS, CDMA and LTE) and industry standard (such as 3GPP, WiFi Alliance, IEEE, and Bluetooth SIG) in relation to our products. Define RF HW requirements, design and implement in-house test systems, debug and resolve issues, and manage the process to ensure our products conform to all applicable regulatory standards Ensure that the product is designed to meet those requirements, both on a conducted and radiated level. This includes giving design guidelines, reviewing, and signing-off on all PCB and flex layouts, and system-level grounding / shielding / etc, related to regulatory performance. Driving implementable design solutions to fix regulatory issues. You will work closely with internal and external engineering groups (such as Mechanical Engineering / Product Design, RF Hardware Design, Antenna, Vendors, etc) to debug regulatory issues.
Education & Experience
This position requires a BS in Electrical Engineering with 3 years or above of relevant work experience or an MS in Electrical Engineering with 1 year or above of relevant work experience.