Finite Element Analysis and Electromagnetic Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
This is an excellent opportunity to work on the forefront of new power management technologies with the exemplary company consistently bringing innovations in the industry. In this position, you will be part of a team developing innovative concepts, and designing hardware in products used by millions of people. The position primarily involves FEA simulations, magnetic field analysis and material analysis for Apple’s next generation products. This is a unique opportunity for “out of the box thinker” who can enable innovative technologies in Apple products.
- ➢ MSEE in material science or power electronics with 6+ years experience. PhD preferred.
- ➢ Experience in advanced Finite Element Analysis (FEA), in high volume consumer electronic products and/or modules is required
- ➢ Experience with COMSOL and/or Maxwell FEA simulation tools is a must
- ➢ Solid background in mechanics, dynamics and heat transfer
- ➢ Experience with coil designs, transformer designs and modeling
- ➢ Strong background in electromagnetic and magnetic materials (ferrites for example) is required
- ➢ Familiar with CAD software: SolidWorks and NX is very desirable.
- ➢ Familiarity with power architectures and topologies; experience in power supply designs (DC-DC, AC-DC, DC-AC) is a plus.
- ➢ Strong analytical/problem solving skills and ability to guide critical decisions
- ➢ Must possess good understanding of thermals, mechanical and packaging challenges. Must possess knowledge of high volume manufacturing technologies and production variance
- ➢ Must be highly motivated, self-starter with innovation, integrity and attention to details.
- ➢ Excellent problem solving skills
- ➢ Ability to work well with cross-functional teams is extremely important
- ➢ Proven track record of working in fast paced innovative work environment
- ➢ Experience developing a product from concept to production
- ➢ Outstanding verbal, written and visual communication skills
The candidate will be responsible for the design, development and analysis of magnetic coils. The ideal candidate should have extensive background in electromagnetic systems, material science, mechanical design, heat transfer, testing, and electrical system Modeling. The candidate should have fundamental understanding of the electromagnetic field. The candidate will be driving 2D/3D modeling and FEA simulations of electromagnetic fields using various hardware, geometries and materials including system co-existence analysis through successful product level implementation. We are seeking for candidates with broad skill-sets and various levels of experience to join our team. 1) Electromagnetic analysis of various geometrical structures, 2) Use of analytic tools (such as Excel, Mathcad, Matlab ) for basic sizing, weight, power quality, thermal performance estimates 3) Analysis and verification of designss with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) Maxwell and COMSOL in both 2D and 3D as well as other techniques (FRM) 4) Support system integration efforts with electromagnetic FEA calculations (define no-fly zones, compute EM loads during magnetic structure assembly for use in mechanical fixture designs) 5) Contribute to custom toolsets for electromagnetic analyses (Matlab and Python) 6) Material analysis and selection; working with internal teams and external vendors to ensure the choice and capability of materials 7) Mechanical design and modeling 8) Be a key member for Apple’s core product and architecture team 9) Work with cross-functional team such as electrical engineers, mechanical designers and material scientists. 10) Perform rigorous design reviews with vendors and internal teams. 11) Provide design simulation, calculation and analytical models for prediction of design concept outcome 12) Spread head innovation thru exemplary behavior and teamwork
Education & Experience
➢ MSEE in material science or power electronics with 6+ years experience. PhD preferred.