System HW Architect
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Seeking talented electrical engineering technical leadership in a System Architecture team. The position is as a highly cross-functional individual contributor design engineer and systems architect. The ideal candidate has core competencies in several functional areas of responsibility and system design and computer architecture. The position requires the candidate to define & drive system & electrical architecture product definition. Experience is expected in analyzing key systems engineering architectural and implementation trade-offs; design of high performance, low power, high-quality products; developing pre-net list PCB floor-plan & stack-up feasibility considering component package & thermal design, signal integrity, EMC and RF issues for place & route guidance; power budgeting and analysis. The position requires strong analytical, communication, persuasion, and negotiation skills. Provide HW architectural guidance to x-functional engineering teams to establish new product definition requirements & commitments.
- Must have hands-on experience in prototype bring-up and debugging, functional verification, and manufacturing support.
- Ability to navigate compliance requirements (including EMC, Safety, and Environmental Engineering)
- Must have created and influenced system specification documents for electrical, power delivery, thermal, and physical fit requirements
- Ability to navigate hi-speed design and layout rules of modern interfaces
- Must have created, defined, and successfully presented material to upper management and influenced decision makers
- Demonstrated innovative, critical thinking and troubleshooting skills; have proficient written, verbal, negotiation, and communication skills.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to engineering team members
Provide System Architecture Guidance: -Work with Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Design Assess to guide product system integration feasibility, feature & design trade-offs, and early PCB floorplan and route studies -Utilize schematic and layout tools such as Cadence Concept & Allegro; develop new and novel methods of pre-route guidance -Predict & prepare for future product system integration & interconnect needs -Guide system level and component level packaging and integration Review, challenge, & influence x-functional roadmaps: -Negotiate design rules for system design, PCBA, and interconnect manufacturing -Work with x-functional engineering managers and architects on HW/SW/MFG enabling technologies -Create internal & external system specifications; keep current with technology trends & roadmaps Review, challenge, & influence system performance decisions: -Work with Performance engineers to define, simulate, and model product performance vs. power (performance per watt) -Analyze and guide thermal management solutions and trade-offs Review, challenge, & influence people and process: -Define, develop, and utilize tools, scripts, automation, and methods of system analysis -Mentor junior engineer for best practices in systems development and institutionalized processes. -Provide guidance and enthusiasm to negotiate development process & capabilities -Be successful navigating ambiguity & x-functional organizational challenges; thrive in a demanding environment Preferred Tools experience: Schematic Capture and Layout (Cadence Concept & Allegro, constraint management) PCB Simulation & Signal integrity tools; FPGA development Productivity (e.g., Keynote, Numbers, Pages; Powerpoint, Excel, Word; Omnigraffle)
Education & Experience
BS EE w/ 8 years; MS EE w/5 years overall experience needed developing consumer products
- This position may require occasional domestic and international travel.