Product Design Engineer - iPad
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The iPad Product Design Team works in a dynamic startup-like environment with all of the tools, resources, and support of the world’s largest hardware company. We are a close-knit group of engineers who work with a singular focus...to surprise and delight our customers with truly great products. At Apple, you will work alongside the most talented engineers & technology experts at the top of their fields. We have a firm commitment to fairness and diversity, recognizing that each employee contributes a wealth of perspectives to our culture; we seek to tap into this extraordinary resource and incorporate it into how we do business. Come join us and be empowered to generate the best and most impactful work of your life.
- High degree of motivation, curiosity, passion and creativity.
- Design intelligence: mechanical intuition, creative problem solving, spatial
- reasoning, diligence in finding the best solution for each design challenge,
- attention to detail
- Engineering Fundamentals: statics, strength of materials, material science,
- Flexible design skills: tolerance analysis, design for assembly/manufacturability,
- electro-mechanical integration, simple fixture design, design for high volume manufacturing, developing initial product layouts, understanding of Statistical Process Controls (SPC), understanding of metrology (basic knowledge of measurement systems), mechanism design
- Computer aided design (CAD) Skills: 3D CAD experience required - NX preferred, 2D drafting and GD&T preferred
- Excellent communication skills: both written and verbal, ability to clearly communicate design ideas, contribute to brainstorms
- Experience in the design cycle from concept through manufacturing a plus
- Experience designing mechanical components for high volume manufacturing is preferred - specifically injection molded parts, sheet metal components, die-cast and machined parts
- Interested in traveling up to 15-20% max throughout the year.
- 3+ years of experience in Mechanical Design. Opportunities available for more
- experienced individuals to take on additional responsibilities and leadership positions within the team.
In this highly visible role, you will utilize your mechanical design engineering skills to bring products to market. This includes the following: Negotiating and collaborating cross functionally with various departments, such as Industrial Design, Product Integrity, EE, Manufacturing, SW, and technology groups to refine and execute the vision for the product Developing deep technical knowledge in areas outside your realm of expertise to understand other teams’ design constraints and craft creative solutions to technical problems Collaborating with outside vendors and internal manufacturing experts to optimize designs for function, aesthetic, and manufacturability Utilizing 2D and 3D CAD to communicate design intent and inspection requirements Insuring fit, form, and function throughout the life of the product through stress and tolerance analysis, DFMEA, prototyping, testing, and failure analysis
Education & Experience
MSME or BSME