Optical Sensing HW - Module Lead (Laser Sensing)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Design, develop, and launch next-generation Sensor Technologies in Apple products. The Sensor Hardware team develops sensor solutions and technologies for Apple’s products. The key goal of the Sensor Technology team is to enable the world’s best user-experience. Bring devices to life and enable them interact with users and the environment in ways never imagined before. The light sensing team integrates optical sensors across a variety of Apple products such as iPhones, iPads and MacBooks. We are searching for extraordinary Hardware Engineers to take ownership in the development of very high performance optical-sensing modules. We are seeking an engineer to take leadership of optical-sensing hardware projects in engagements with product and technology teams. Join us in crafting solutions the world doesn't know of yet.
- This role requires for you to have the ability to learn quickly and become familiar with several different technology areas. Ability to lead teams and take responsibility for project success is a requirement.
- You should have at least 2+ years of relevant experience integrating sensors into products.
- You have a strong understanding of sensor design and characterization, including design of electronic circuits that interface to optoelectronic components.
- Digital signal processing for evaluating signal quality. Image and light-beam quality evaluation including test charts and algorithms is preferred.
- Design, characterization and test of compact imaging and non-imaging optics.
- Data analysis and statistics using MATLAB, Python, JMP, or other mathematical software.
- Mechanical design, optomechanical tolerance analysis, and thermal modeling of highly constrained, high-volume designs is a plus.
- Experience with non-sequential raytracing tools (e.g., CodeV, Zemax, and/or LightTools) is a plus
- Manufacturing processes and testing of high-precision, high-volume modules is a plus.
You will work cross-functionally through communication and collaboration to integrate optical sensing hardware into products. You will provide leadership of off-shore manufacturing partners on optical-sensing module design evaluation, module prototype builds, and qualification. Leadership of optical-sensing module testing in Apple labs and at manufacturing sites. This includes light beam & sensor quality, electrical, and mechanical testing. Definition and tradeoff assessments of-sensing module optics, sensors, electronics, and packaging. Evaluation and debugging of optical-sensing HW at module and product levels. Documentation of optical-sensing module design, test, and manufacturing requirements. Travel is required to supplier facilities for product development and production bring-up.
Education & Experience
B.S., M.S. or PhD in Optics, Physics or Electrical Engineering. Industry experience preferred.