Product Design Engineer - Softgoods
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple’s Softgoods Engineering team is relatively new to Apple. We work with textiles, leather, silicone and soft polymers. Our mission is to use these incredible materials to enable new product categories, and to enhance Apple’s existing product lines. Bringing Apple engineering and precision to products made of soft materials is an exciting challenge and requires a creative and open minded approach. We have a talented team of people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We all work together in a beautiful customized lab where we design, engineer and develop the best softgoods products in the world. If this sounds like an exciting challenge, we hope you will consider a place in our team!
- We are looking for a highly motivated product design engineer. As a member of our multi-functional design team you will be responsible for conceiving, designing and producing exciting new products. You will work closely with many diverse groups, including a dedicated prototyping team, Industrial Design, Hardware Engineering, Operations, Packaging, Reliability, Thermal, EMC, and Software. As a team, we are responsible for creating the next generation of Softgood products for iPhone, iPad, Watch bands, Audio, as well as supporting other teams at Apple that wish to use soft goods materials in their designs. This dynamic role requires travel to our global supply base.
- 3D and 2D CAD skills (NX preferred)
- At least 3 years of experience in production part design utilizing a variety of engineering materials
- Good engineering fundamentals (beam bending, free body diagrams, GD&T, etc...)
- Solid verbal and written presentation skills
- Experience using spreadsheets to analyze engineering data
- Other skills and training we like to see:
- Knowledge of soft goods materials (synthetics, leather, adhesives)
- Knowledge of soft goods assembly process (bonding, cutting, stitching)
At Apple we believe our products begin with our people. By hiring a diverse team we drive creative thought. By giving that team everything they need we drive innovation. By hiring incredible engineers we drive precision. And through our collaborative process we create memorable experiences for our customers. These elements come together to make Apple an amazing environment for motivated people to do the greatest work of their lives.
Education & Experience
BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering 2+ years of experience is preferred