Depth Module HW Engineer (Senior Optical Characterization)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Depth Hardware group at Apple develops depth-sensing hardware such as the revolutionary TrueDepth camera that powers FaceID. This multi-disciplinary group of engineers are responsible for architecture, research, and manufacturing development of these highly complex sensing systems for Apple products. The Depth Hardware team is seeking an optical engineer to support characterization and validation of laser based optics modules for depth applications.
- Extensive experience with design and development of custom optical metrology instrumentation.
- Deep understanding of optical systems, with hands-on optical system engineering characterization and validation experience.
- Experience using C/C++, C#, Matlab, or Python for lab equipment control, data collection, and data analysis.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and teamwork skills.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Experience with image processing and quantitative imaging analysis.
- Experience with typical optics lab equipment - Power meters, OSAs, cameras/detectors, oscilloscopes, optical stages/mounts, cameras, etc.
- Experience with lab management and laser safety protocols.
- Imaging system characterization experience is a plus.
- Experience supporting volume manufacturing of optical systems is a plus.
Key Responsibilities: Primary focus is on engineering level system characterization for design validation and failure analysis/root cause identification – Closing the loop between theory and experiment. Design, build, automate, and qualify characterization tools for optical systems involving illumination sources (LEDs, lasers, lamps), and a variety of free-space optical elements (lenses, gratings, prisms, etc.). Data analysis to support validation and failure analysis. Travel to support design/production/supplier teams as necessary (up to 25%).
Education & Experience
B.S./M.S/PhD in Optics or Optical Physics with 10+ years industry experience preferred.