Depth Module HW Technician (Optics Lab)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Depth Hardware group at Apple develops depth-sensing hardware such as the revolutionary TrueDepth camera that powers FaceID. This multi-disciplinary team are responsible for architecture, research, and manufacturing development of these highly complex sensing systems for Apple products. The Depth Hardware team is seeking an optics lab technician to support characterization and validation of laser based optics modules for depth applications.
- Hands-on optical system engineering validation and characterization experience.
- Experience with typical optics lab equipment - Power meters, OSAs, cameras/detectors, oscilloscopes, optical stages/mounts, cameras, etc.
- Experience aligning free-space optical systems.
- Experience with board level circuit debug and soldering.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and teamwork skills.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Experience with lab management and laser safety protocols is a plus.
- Experience using C/C++, C#, Matlab, or Python for lab equipment control, data collection, and data analysis is plus.
- Experience supporting volume manufacturing of optical systems is a plus.
Primary focus is on engineering level system characterization for design validation and failure analysis/root cause identification. Build and qualify characterization tools for optical systems involving illumination sources (LEDs, lasers, lamps), and a variety of free-space optical elements (lenses, gratings, prisms, etc.). Take primary ownership of data collection and analysis for optical components and systems, and ensure accuracy of results. Provide written documentation of procedures, setups, and experimental results, with strong attention to detail. Build, maintain, calibrate, qualify, and operate a wide variety of off the shelf and custom optical characterization tools. Manage and maintain multiple optics labs. Travel to support design/production/supplier teams as necessary (up to 25%).
Education & Experience
A.A., A.S., or B.S. in Optics or Electronics with 10+ years industry experience preferred.