Mac Platform Systems Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
CoreOS’s Mac Platform team is responsible for delivering the next generation of Mac products. We are committed to building fully integrated operating systems that combine hardware, software, and apps into a single Apple experience. Your dedication to cross-disciplinary collaboration will help develop groundbreaking technologies which are part of macOS, iOS, watchOS, and tvOS. The Mac Platform Software Team is seeking a talented and inspired Engineering Manager who understands hardware to own the development of future generations of Apple Mac systems. This team follows their Mac based products through the entire product development lifecycle, starting with architecture through introduction. We are looking for managers with strong problem solving skills who can work in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment and build a team that solves complex technical issues. In this role you will manage a team that plays a central role developing future Macs. This includes system software, device drivers, firmware, and overall system architecture. Team responsibilities include: hardware and software design, implementation, and troubleshooting to achieve product specifications; triaging issues to identify and solve critical product blockers; balancing performance with energy efficiency in a highly constrained system environment; working with factory and operations teams to support prototype product builds and drive yield into production; crafting future requirements to build innovative new products. Occasional international travel required, less than 10%.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Direct development experience in boot loaders, device drivers, kernel, and/or firmware.
- Understanding of at least one CPU architecture, x86 and ARM preferred and the associated system architecture.
- Proven critical thinking, debugging, and troubleshooting skills.
- Comfortable with schematics and silicon specifications.
- Experience with platform bring-up or porting of operating systems.
Development of firmware and system software to meet product requirements. Debug of system level issues, involving hardware and software. Code review. Schematic review. Diagnostic and operations support of prototype builds and handoff to mass production. Prototyping to set requirement targets for product definition. Architecture and design of new system-level features.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field
- Experience leading a software development team.
- 3+ years of platform bring-up or operating system porting.
- 5+ years writing system software, firmware, kernel, and/or drivers.
- Experience debugging issues with oscilloscopes or logic analyzers.
- Passionate about quality.