Hardware Systems Design Engineer - Exploratory Design Group
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Dynamic, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple Hardware products. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every single day. This role is all about making systems that have never been made before. Building and integrating complex components, working with cross-functional engineering teams, and making devices that live up to high expectations. This role requires an engineer who is not afraid to tackle challenges, and knows how to balance innovation with practicality. You will work with members of the cross-functional engineering team to define and implement custom hardware that supports and drives our prototype platforms and instruments. You will be expected to reduce high level feature requests to practical and implementable HW designs, while understanding and balancing implementation tradeoffs.
- You will have 5+ years experience with circuit design, schematic capture, PCB layout, system integration, and lab characterization.
- Strong analog and digital circuit design skills, including simulation and analysis.
- Experience with various schematic capture tools, such as Eagle, Altium, and Cadence.
- Experience with PCB layout on multi-layer boards (4+ layers), paying careful attention to timing analysis and signal integrity.
- Experience integrating hardware designs into a larger system, including interfacing with embedded microcontrollers and analog sensors.
- Experience using standard lab equipment for system testing, characterization, and debug (e.g. oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzer, etc.).
- Experience designing logic with FPGA’s.
- Skill writing test or automation software in high-level languages is a plus (e.g. C, Python).
- Applicant is expected to be able to work with other engineering disciplines (e.g. Mechanical Engineering) to develop and innovate design integration.
- Applicant should be able to enumerate the pros, cons, and tradeoffs of different design solutions.
- Applicant must work well in a team environment.
As a Hardware Systems Design Engineer, you will have the following responsibilities: - Work with cross-functional engineering team to define system features and performance requirements. - Work with firmware engineers and other system engineers to design hardware that appropriately interfaces with other components of the system. - Schematic capture, PCB layout, bring up, characterization, and debug of your designs. - Own integration of your designs into system, and aid others in integration of their designs.
Education & Experience
Minimum BS in EE or CS required.