Hardware Sustaining Engineer (Network) - Hyperscale
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Internet Services Organization at Apple is seeking a hardware sustaining engineer to help ensure the ongoing quality and reliability of servers used by our online services. This exciting position involves the qualification of server firmware, documentation tracking and validation, configuration and change control management, analysis of defects and trends, reliability and predictive analysis for sparing, and requests for changes due to root cause analysis or operation needs throughout the server lifecycle from initial release through decommissioning. This position requires technical knowledge of current hyperscale server hardware design, experience with large scale data center operations, and advanced system and network troubleshooting methodology. The ideal candidate must also have great communication abilities to build productive relationships with internal teams, developers, engineering peers, management, and outside vendors. Finally, this position calls for broad flexibility and high initiative to take ownership of complex issues and drive them to resolution.
- - Knowledge of modern hyperscale server design, manufacturing, integration, and repair processes.
- - Experience with sustaining engineering the full system/hardware stack with a focus on Network Interface Cards of cards capable of 10Gb+, associated firmware validation, and load and performance verification.
- - Minimum 5 years of work experience in onsite data center operations as a network engineer, system engineer, system administrator, hardware repair technician, or combination of multiple roles.
- - Must have a thorough understanding of hardware and systems troubleshooting methodology with BIOS/UEFI, command line run-level Linux, and common out of band management systems.
- - System engineer scripting level knowledge in one of the following: Perl, Python, or Ruby. Basic shell scripting knowledge is expected.
- - Knowledge of the following technologies and applications: DHCP, TCP/IP networking, DNS, anaconda, puppet, yum, configuration key/value stores, grub, systemd, common disk filesystems, system and network security, ipmi, containerization, data center power infrastructure, and common internet services industry best practices.
- - Experience in maintaining platform configuration BOMs. firmware and implementation of configuration management processes throughout the system lifecycle. Agile PLM experience a plus.
- - Strong understanding of test methodologies, formalized test concepts, test plans, continuous integration and sustaining engineering.
- - Experienced with test plan creation and execution to include test automation utilizing 3rd party and in-house developed tools, functional/performance based validation and manual testing as necessary.
- - Must be able to independently manage time and reprioritize tasks as necessary while ensuring critical deadlines are met.
- - Ability to produce effective and meaningful documentation for technical issues, turning complex operations into clear task topics for action. Present developed materials to a variety of target internal audiences from executive summaries to technician instructions.
Drives sustaining engineering processes to enable necessary platform, configuration, and component engineering changes to production systems through end of product lifecycle. Creates and monitors change requests resulting from engineering support investigations, changes in underlying platform firmware and components, and updates for new components added to platforms and configurations as needed. Works with vendors to validate vendor testing, internal test teams to validate changes, and processes changes administratively. Coordinate with suppliers for effective investigation and resolution of endemic hardware issues. Document and report technical changes to end users and management at multiple levels. Consult as needed on additional projects where hardware specialization is needed. Drive to improve standards of quality for hyperscale hardware while maintaining cost efficiency.
Education & Experience
B.S. in Computer Engineering, related technical field, or equivalent work experience.