Compute/HPC Systems Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
The Engineering Compute Services (ECS) team is responsible for maintaining a high quality and productive environment for Apple's Hardware Engineering groups. We directly support the Engineers by providing: high performance computing resources, storage systems, web and file collaboration services, tools, licenses, databases, and workflow optimization. ECS is looking for a service oriented, self-driven and motivated Systems Engineer who will provide support for system design teams within Apple.
- 5+ years in Linux system administrator in an enterprise environment (200+ servers)
- Must have strong knowledge of Linux systems and internals (RHEL preferred) with a good understanding of networking and related protocols, OS customization, package management (RPM, Yum)
- Large scale environments - LDAP, NFS, server virtualization (VMWare), deployments and automation / configuration management (e.g. Puppet or equivalent), modular user shell environments, networking, geographically disperse sites
- Experienced with Kickstart, NetBoot, DHCP, DNS, monitoring tools (Nagios, Splunk). Effective analytical abilities - descend into applications and flows with little guidance to address performance and reliability issues.
- Experience in creating software/scripts to automate production systems with fluency in at least one of the following: bash, perl, ruby, python - appropriate use of built-in functions and libraries
- Proficiency with source control, continuous integration and testing methods ( git, perforce, svn ) Strong customer service and documentation skills with ability to balance technical support
- Able to work independently as well in team projects
- Batch queueing systems such as SGE, LSF, or Slurm a plus
As a self-driven and motivated Compute/HPC Systems Engineer you will provide support for system design teams within Apple. You will have a focus on building, maintaining and growing HPC systems used for computationally intensive applications as well as the following: Understand complex systems and integrate software into compute resources as required by Hardware Engineers. Possess excellent communication skills and the ability to work with Hardware Engineers to understand their needs and develop scalable solutions. Have a focus on a DevOps/SRE mindset to develop programmatic solutions to system issues. Ability to do installation and integration of tools and software into a production environment. Liaison with vendors and other engineering groups to continuously improve efficiency and quality of Compute Systems Support Hardware Engineering as part of the IT team to improve design & analysis capabilities and product development efficiency.
Education & Experience
BS/MS EE or CS degree