Sr Data Scientist, Apple Media Products
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Do you want to make impact on how decisions are made by Engineering teams? If you love statistics, data, analysis and influencing teams on how to run experiments then look no further. This team in the Apple Media Products group provides insights through data that drive decision-making for our engineering and product teams. We are looking for a Data Scientist that can derive valuable insights and help us build automated reporting tools from the data we collect on AppStore, Apple Music, Movies & TV, etc. This role will be working daily with researchers and engineers on the Search and Recommendations teams as they develop better algorithms and improve their models. This in turn improves the customer experience for Apple’s products. You will be helping to drive innovation and improve our product decision making process while developing new experimentation methodologies, statistical techniques, and causal-inference approaches.
- 4 or more years relevant industry experience preferred.
- Extensive background in statistical methods and data mining.
- Excellent applied statistics skills in experimentation methodologies and causal inferences.
- Experience with Big Data systems and distributed computing, such as Hadoop. Experience working with Engineers
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as R, pandas, dplyr, NumPy, etc.
- Experience with data visualization tools, such as GGplot, etc.
- Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL, Hive and SparkSQL.
- Experience with Scala, Spark or Python.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to explain findings in layman terms.
- Keep up-to-date with the newest technology trends.
- Able to communicate results and ideas to key decision makers.
- Able to understand various data structures and common methods in data transformation.
You will design, execute and craft tools for online experiments (A/B tests) and offline experiments (human relevance judgement) that help us improve and fine tune our data focused features (Search, Recommendations, etc.). Your primary focus will be on applying statistical methods, develop A/B testing procedures, and automating data pipelines to develop new metrics. In this role you will: - Data mining using state-of-the-art methods. - Investigate new data sources that can extend and improve our insights. - Work with software engineering teams to improve data collection procedures. - Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis. - Doing ad-hoc analysis and promptly presenting results in a clear manner. - Generate reports (that can be automated) to present key insights to partners across a variety of teams. - Designing experiments that will measure and test for key performance indicators. - Creativity in formulating statistical questions to address business needs.
Education & Experience
Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math or related discipline. PhD preferred. Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.