Materials Engineering Technical Associate
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
This laboratory position supports a group of Materials, Mechanical and Process Engineers in the characterization, testing and analysis of coatings, ceramics and glass. The candidate responsibilities will include support for new material development and reliability testing, as well as general engineering technician duties. Specifically, the candidate will use high-tech equipment to characterize optical, tactile, and mechanical properties of materials, and will help design novel specialized mechanical tests. The candidate will also conduct inspection and failure analysis of cosmetic, mechanical, and processing-related defects across several Apple products. For example, the candidate will tear down failed systems to identify relevant failure contributors, utilizing internal and external laboratory resources. The successful candidate must posses the ability to manage multiple work requests simultaneously with competing priorities and effectively work with multiple departments/resources to accomplish tasks in a timely manner.
- A minimum of B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Manufacturing and Materials, or related field is required.
- Experience as an engineering technician, research assistant, laboratory intern or equivalent
- Flexibility and comfort working in a fast-paced environment
- Meticulous organization
- Familiarity with mechanical testing methods
- Experience with optical characterization
- Capability to design simple fixtures in CAD
• Proficiency with SEM • Exposure to XRD, AFM, TEM, BRDF • Machine shop experience • FA sample preparation experience (cutting, grinding, x-section mounting) • Test development • 2 years’ industrial experience in a material characterization / product testing / FA role • Gauge R&R for experimental confidence • High speed video of impact events • Lab safety familiarity • Ability to write basic software scripts