Fan Noise Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Are you interested in a fast-paced and challenging career where you will be able to improve products loved by millions? Do you welcome your communication, creativity, and problem-solving skills being stretched to solve unique problems? Apple’s Noise & Vibration team validates performance and solves problems in our hardware products to minimize audible noise and optimize customer experience. We work daily with cross-functional teams to discover innovative solutions to complex engineering challenges. We are looking for a Noise & Vibration engineer specializing in fans to join our team.
- You will excel in this role if you meet all of the following…
- You have considerable knowledge of acoustic fundamentals, with 5+ years of experience in the noise/vibration field.
- You are familiar with fan noise sources and characterization techniques, or have experience in general aeroacoustics.
- You have acoustic and (optionally) vibration measurement skills, are fluent in data analysis methodology, and have experience making measurements in anechoic/hemi-anechoic chambers.
- You are a critical listener with excellent hearing over the audible frequency range.
- You are a creative problem solver who thrives in a fast-paced multi-tasking environment.
- You have a passion for digging into the details to deliver products with the best user experience possible.
- Most of our engineers have advanced degrees in Acoustics or similar fields, but equivalent expertise through other means is also welcome.
- You have experience with JMP, MATLAB, ArtemiS, or similar programs.
- You have experience in the design, execution, and analysis of user studies.
- You have experience using precision-grade instrumentation for ultra low-noise measurements.
- You have a history of developing high-volume consumer electronics products.
As a Noise & Vibration Engineer You will quantify noise both objectively and subjectively, and establish thresholds in lab and factory environments based on judgement and user studies. You will perform validation testing to targets and analyze this data to better understand root causes of problems. You will educate cross-functional teams to implement known best practices and run experiments to learn new best practices. You will work to improve test infrastructure and experimental methods to increase the value of data obtained. You will author standard operating procedures, test plans, and specifications. You will work closely with partner facilities overseas, but will need to travel minimally.
Education & Experience
Most of our engineers have advanced degrees in Acoustics or similar fields, but equivalent expertise through other means is also welcome. Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.