Mechanical Product Design Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you have a passion for invention and self-challenge? Do you thrive on pushing the limits of what’s considered feasible? As part of our Battery Engineering group, you’ll help craft creative battery solutions that deliver more energy in smaller spaces than ever before. You’ll work across disciplines to transform improved hardware elements into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you’ll help us innovate new battery technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you’ll push the industry boundaries of what batteries can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. The Battery Product Development team at Apple produces high energy and highly reliable embedded battery systems for all product teams. Tightly integrated with Product Development, Operations, Industrial Design and Reliability Testing groups, we own battery module development from initial system architecture through ramp. The Battery Cell Mechanical Engineering Design Group works within the Battery Product Development organization is the primary design resource for our battery cells, which are integrated into battery modules and then into products. The Battery Cell Mechanical Design Engineer is an individual contributor role and will coordinate and execute the overall battery cell designs from beginning to end.
- You will have 7+ years experience in using and implementing integrated CAE solutions in multi-physics environments, centered on product design and development
- Defining and executing design validation activities (testing, metrology, statistical analysis) Directing / providing site support for tools
- Data-driven and detail focused.
- Familiarity with Lithium-based battery technologies is preferred
- Specific experience with portable consumer electronic product or large format batteries is preferred
- Experience working with overseas vendors a plus
- High volume manufacturing and automation experience is helpful
- Process development experience a plus
- Experience using a variety of metrology equipment
- Design and 3D CAD experience required, Siemens NX preferred
- Scientific method, experimental process, root cause analysis, statistical analysis
- Knowledge of high-volume manufacturing processes and/or automation is highly desirable
- Disciplined in GD&T practices with close attention to datum establishment and tolerance analyses
- Applied knowledge in PCB design, flex circuits, material science and basic chemistry is beneficial
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and people skills; ability to interact with management, team members and external vendors
- Teamwork: You should be able to communicate well with multi-functional team members, and efficiently collaborate with team members to achieve project goals, and contribute positively to the engineering community
• Develops cell requirements and specifications with system product development • Brainstorms design concepts and executes design concepts in all phases of a development cycle • Generates innovative designs with multi-functional teams, including detailed written specifications, drawings and tolerance analyses • Defines and Executes design validation and characterization from prototype bring-up to product testing • Develops designs and processes with external vendors, acting as product development technical liaison among vendors • Communicates multi-functionally on design directions and requirements • Manages and tracks multiple priorities within schedule requirements and drives multiple vendors towards common project goals • Conducts design reviews and drives file release process • Drives failure analyses and design of experiments (DOEs) to reach design solutions and corrective actions • Drives design towards Apple's cosmetic requirements • Communicates status effectively throughout the management structure
Education & Experience
BSME required; MSME is desirable.