Product Design Engineer - Opto-Mech
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Mac… iPod… iPhone… iPad… WATCH… what’s next? We are a team of talented mechanical engineers who will design, prototype, analyze, iterate, and launch that next new product category at Apple. In this role, there will be frequent multi-disciplinary collaboration with teams like Industrial Design, Project Management, Materials, Manufacturing, Electrical Engineering, Display, Camera, Antenna, Battery, and more. You will have a uniquely rewarding opportunity to craft future products that will delight and inspire millions of people every day.
- 2+ years of hands-on, Opto-Mechanical and/or compact mechanism design experience
- Experience working in small teams of engineers (3-8 people) in a dynamic professional or academic environment
- Proficiency in 3D CAD (or any modeling package)
- Basic GD&T knowledge and experience releasing 2D drawings
- Proficiency in performing tolerance analyses
- Working knowledge of FEA principles
- Practical experience working through DFM challenges with external vendors
- Wide knowledge of basic engineering materials and manufacturing processes
- Consumer electronics knowledge in a majority of these disciplines: industrial design, optics and lenses, cameras, sensors, displays, PCBs and flexes, silicon, antennas, batteries, thermals
- Creative problem solving, with experience in failure analysis, root cause investigation, and DOE creation
- Piezomotor, Voice Coil Motor and Stepper Motor design/integration experience
- Experience designing for weight reduction
- Experience in ergonomics and human fitting/adjustability (example: design set of watch bands to fit wrists of users in variety of demographics)
Do you thrive on building solutions? Are you ready to explore a new domain with a talented team? We literally are the hands-on technical team that manages parts through the entire process, from early design to mass production. By joining our team, you will work side by side with your teammates inside Apple and at our partner facilities to define and refine parts of the system in CAD, create drawings, and work with vendors to produce these parts. Excellent communication skills including verbal, written, slide presentations, and participating in working meetings are critical. You will assemble early prototypes, travel to China to support engineering builds, and solve problems on the assembly line. Our team is expected to set an example of technical excellence and you are responsible for your own work. Experience working and driving actions in Asian manufacturing facilities, especially high-volume mass production, will be highly valuable. This role will require 15-25% travel and you will be located in the Bay Area (inside Apple's headquarters) due to the collaborative nature of the work. This position focuses specifically on the design and development of Opto-Mechanical systems that are compact, robust and intended for mass production. We are actively recruiting engineers with experience designing optical systems and/or compact, high precision mechanisms.
Education & Experience
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering required Master of Science preferred
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.