Engineering Program Manager - iCloud Content
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Apple’s iCloud SRE team is looking for dynamic project managers to help build and run services that millions of customers use every day. We are looking for star performers to drive projects that impact the customer experience. You will have data storage and SRE/DevOps experience. As a project manager for SRE, you will be partnered with a team whose mission it is to build, maintain and improve Apple’s most critical cloud services. We’re looking for hardworking, passionate people to join our amazing team where we focus on extraordinary service availability, scalability and security while defining standards, implementing standard methodologies and improving operational efficiency. If you love non-routine work that requires social intelligence, complex critical thinking and creative problem solving, we’d love to hear from you!
- Self-starter with 3+ years previous experience as a member of a technical team responsible for production operability within a client/server environment.
- Experienced project manager familiar with running end-to-end lifecycles for IT programs in large scale global data center environments.
- Exposure to setting up and handling agile process frameworks.
- Strong sense of ownership, customer service, and integrity demonstrated through clear, concise communication and presentation.
- A creative problem solver with excellent social and diplomacy skills.
- Experience automating tasks by writing programs or scripts using a tool/language such as: shell, C, Java, Ruby, Python or Perl.
- Understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as: HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP, ICMP, the OSI Model and load balancing.
- Experience designing mobile or web applications with availability, scalability, latency and supportability in mind.
- Experience analyzing distributed systems in a development, QA or globally distributed production environment.
In this exciting role, you lead efforts that increase the reliability and efficiency of iCloud services. You partner with the team and SRE manager while working closely with software development to understand technical requirements and infrastructure and financial teams to ensure adequate compute, storage and network capacity for new and existing features. Implement agile process to enable efficiencies around change management, problem tracking, and SRE backlog. Identify and eliminate project ambiguity, ensure clarity and clarify goals and timelines. By developing a broad perspective, identify new projects to champion and strategize how to pull in required teams to address obstacles and ensure communication with partners. Over time, you build and maintain a detailed portfolio of complex technical projects and continually strive to meet deadlines within constraint. - Be the communicator! Everyone on the project knows what is going on. Status is honestly and accurately communicated. You are comfortable speaking to groups and can present one-pagers, POCs and architectural overviews clearly and effectively. - Show ownership and accountability to partners while you track progress and handle road blocks to ensure projects arrive on time and under budget. - Identify inefficiencies related to core SRE program work while running the building or adoption of automation tools to address. - Participate in forecasting discussions to help develop a detailed BOM that speaks to reliable infrastructure requirements needed by partner teams. - Influence service architecture direction, design and standards by forming relationships with hardware engineering, software development and data center teams. - Break down projects and responsibilities rationally while paying close attention to detail so you can apply the right process for the given requirements and team. - Drive meetings to establish and document the scope of the project. Have an informed perspective on what should be included/excluded by partnering with the SRE engineering manager. - Plan and maintain the schedule for the project, establishing achievements, and work breakdowns. - Document known risks, dependencies, and other information central to the project.
Education & Experience
Bachelors degree in computer science, information systems, a related field or equivalent experience and Project Management Training. PREFERRED Masters degree in computer science, information systems, and Project Management Certification.