Optical Systems Scientist - Exploratory Design Group
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Dynamic, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple Hardware products. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the unrivaled and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every single day. This is a hands-on role, working in an optical science team within a highly multi-disciplinary group to demonstrate new optical sensor concepts. You will exercise both your technical breadth as well as your deep understanding of optical devices and systems.
- The ideal candidate will have 5+ total years of experience in optics, as well as the following:
- Excellent command of optical physics fundamentals.
- Hands-on experience designing, implementing, and testing free-space optical systems. Experience with micro-optic components is a plus.
- Solid understanding of semiconductor laser sources, photodetectors, and optical measurement techniques.
- Proficiency with optical simulation tools and techniques, including sequential and non-sequential raytracing software.
- Proficiency with Matlab and/or Python for instrument control, data collection, and data analysis
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
Work with the team to invent, implement, and validate optical sensor concepts. Design, simulate, and specify optical systems and sub-systems to meet project requirements. Work with external vendors to fabricate custom optical components Design and perform experiments to characterize optical systems and sub-systems. Identify causal relationships between observed performance and design parameters. Interpret empirical data and reconcile it with first-principles analytical and/or numerical simulations.
Education & Experience
MS or PhD in Physics, Applied Physics, Optics, Electrical Engineering or related field required.