Digital Layout Lead
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you want to utilize your engineering background to make big things happen? Can you influence, connect, get results and communicate effectively? Can you deliver on a predictable and dynamic schedule? Do you have a passion for crafting entirely new solutions? Do you love building without precedent? As part of our Digital Design Engineering group, you’ll take imaginative and revolutionary ideas and determine how to turn them into reality. You and your team will apply engineering fundamentals and start from scratch if needed, bringing forward-thinking ideas to the real world. Your efforts will be groundbreaking, often literally. Join us, and you’ll help design the tools that allow us to bring customers experiences they’ve never before envisioned. You will be part of an exciting silicon design group that is responsible for designing state-of-the-art ASICs. We have an extraordinary opportunity for Digital Layout Technical Lead. In this highly visible role as senior member of Apple’s custom layout team, you will be working on the latest technology nodes to create world-class custom digital macros and libraries. As a technical lead, you will be responsible for leading layout design activities and methodologies and manage a small team of layout designers. This is a fast-paced work environment with endless learning opportunities working in the design team with members of integration, CAD, circuit, and technology engineering.
- We are looking for applicants with 10 years hands-on experience in custom layout design of deep SubMicron CMOS circuits used in high performance microprocessors.
- At least 3 years of experience in developing, driving and implementing layout methodologies.
- Strong influence and negotiation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to work with multi-functional teams.
- Experience designing low noise, low power data paths, standard cells and large memory blocks.
- High-level proficiency in layout floor planning, standard cell planning and hierarchical layout assembly.
- Ability to recognize failure prone circuit and layout structures and actively work with circuit designers for the best approach to resolve problems.
- Ability to estimate the design work for an assignment.
- Scripting skills in CSH, PERL or SKILL are preferred.
- Ability to understand issues of RC delay, IR, electro migration, cross and self-heating.
Imagine yourself at the center of our SOC design effort, collaborating with all disciplines, playing a strategic role of getting functional products to millions of customers quickly. You will have the opportunity to integrate and come-up with new ideas, as well as work with a team of hardworking engineers. As a member of the layout team of the microprocessor group, you will be responsible to drive convergence of layout designs by: • Define, develop and drive new and innovative layout methodologies to improve layout productivity and quality for the digital team. • Oversee, mentor and lead a small layout group and remote contractors. • Represent the layout team to influence tool vendors, CAD management and design management to define and implement the technical direction of tools and flows. • Evaluate all aspects of the process flow from high-level design to transistor level layout. • Define and drive layout research assignments to influence new methodology in the organization. • Work with layout, design and management teams to influence the technical direction of designs across the organization. • Mentor and coach circuit and layout designers on layout standard methodologies. • Work with management and circuit design teams to plan, schedule work and negotiate any necessary layout trade-offs that impact design.
Education & Experience
BS or MS Degree in technical discipline
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.