Digital and DSP Architect
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Position Overview: Excellent opportunity to work on the forefront of new and exciting wireless power technologies with the exemplary company consistently bringing innovations in the industry. In this position, you will be part of a team developing innovative concepts, and key mixed-signal ICs that are implemented in products used by many millions of people. The position primarily involves architecture of digital sub systems and key ICs with DSP functions for Apple’s next generation wireless power technology spanning across almost all Apple products. This is an extraordinary opportunity for “out of the box thinker” who can enable innovative technologies and superior integrations for wireless power systems in Apple products. New challenges arise every day that require the sharp problem-solving skills of talented and high potential individuals. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that develops engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation.
- MS in EE/CS with 10+ years or Ph.D. in EE or CS with 5+ years of relevant experience in digital and mixed-signal IC design.
- Hands-on experience in design, development and launch of high volume IC designs in consumer products.
- Strong electrical engineering background in digital signal processing, MCU or ARM architecture, digital filter design, mixed-signal design, and embedded system design.
- Proficiency in MATLAB, Verilog, or similar simulation, design and modeling tools.
- Experience in DSP algorithms and design in standalone microprocessors, FPGA or integrated in ASIC’s.
- Expertise with C/C++ or Python, and code optimization for embedded system is a plus.
- Experience with power electronics including DC-DC, AC-DC, or DC-AC converters is a plus.
- Good understanding of thermals, mechanical and packaging challenges. Knowledge of high volume manufacturing technologies and production variance is desired.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills, collaboration, and leadership skills.
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills and ability to guide critical decisions
- Highly motivated, self-starter with innovation, integrity and attention to details.
- Ability to work well with multiple teams, in a fast paced innovative work environment is extremely meaningful
- Willingness to travel domestically and overseas as needed
RESPONSIBILITIES: As a Digital and DSP Silicon Architect, you'll be driving innovative architecture /technology concepts, system level partitioning and define digital ICs from investigation, analysis and design through successful product level implementation. 1. Core architecture and technology investigation by arbitrating various options with technical rigor for key power metric performance optimization including but not limited to performance, power consumption, silicon and board area, cost and scalability. 2. You'll be a key member of Apple’s core architecture team for new product ideas and system level partitioning, integrations and product definitions. 3. Develop high performance, low power signal processing architectures and algorithms to achieve the best power management solutions. 4. System-level design and IC micro-architecture definition of complex digital and mixed-signal ASICs including requirements for: a. ARM micro-architecture, memory sub-systems, DSP sub-system, state machines, reset, clocking schemes, I/O and peripheral interfaces. b. Define common digital platform architecture framework including design methodology to be used as a reference for architecture team. 5) Cross-disciplinary design optimization, hardware/software design partitioning, trade-off assessments, design checking and tolerance analysis. 6) Author detailed specifications, analyses, and characterization plans for wireless power custom silicons. 7) Concept verification and validation with simulations and prototype design such as FPGA emulation system, lead pre-silicon system validation, prototype bring-up, debug, validation, characterization, and post-silicon module integration support. 8) Perform rigorous design reviews with silicon vendors. Drive vendors to get the highest quality products in a minimal timeframe. 9) Provide design simulation, calculation and analytical models for prediction of design concept outcome including firmware processing speed and code space analysis, digital-signal processing end-to-end performance analysis, etc. 10) Drive/develop advanced algorithms to ensure module performance by working closely with firmware and other multi-functional teams. 11) Provide prototypes test and validation results, document multi-dimensional activities, and hands on lab work experience. 12) Provide smooth hand-off of new architecture to execution team with design analysis, risk assessments, mitigation plans, development lessons learned and proof of concepts. 13) Perform ambitious bench marking. 14) Provide technical support for production issues debug and resolutions. 15) Drive bug root cause analysis and resolution, including diligent bug database tracking. 16) Engage and collaborate with multi-functional teams, including silicon engineering, system engineering, product design, firmware engineering, test engineering, program management and process engineering, to deliver state-of-the-art wireless power solutions. 17) Author presentations that communicate program status, technical issues, risks, and mitigations plans, clearly and concisely. 18) Supply technical assessments to strategic decision-making relating to technology and investments. 19) Conduct seminars and training for multi-functional teams. 20) Spearhead innovation through exemplary behavior and collaboration.
Education & Experience
MS in EE or CS with 10+ years or Ph.D. in EE or CS with 5+ years of relevant experience in digital and mixed-signal IC design is must