Reporting Engineering Manager, Ad Platforms Data Insights
Austin, Texas, United States
Software and Services
At Apple, we work every day to create products that enrich people’s lives. Our Advertising Platforms group makes it possible for people around the world to easily access informative and imaginative content on their devices while helping publishers and developers promote and monetize their work. Our technology and services power advertising across in Apple News and Search Ads in the App Store. Our platforms are highly performant, deployed at scale, and set new standards for enabling effective advertising while protecting user privacy. The Ad Platforms Data Insights team is seeking an experienced reporting engineering manager to help lead the design and scale of key data and reporting systems. In this role you will work as a technical manager of a BI-centric team driving the development, execution, and continuous improvement of new and existing reporting and analytics capabilities. You will directly enable teams of analysts, business users, and data scientists by leading the design and implementation of data warehousing and reporting capabilities. A successful candidate will have previous experience leading teams of engineers and analysts, architecting business intelligence solutions, and creating data models for reporting and analytics. You will also have experience leveraging traditional data warehousing environments such as Vertica and Teradata, reporting applications such as Tableau and Looker, and an understanding of distributed data storage and processing technologies such as SparkSQL, Presto, and Hadoop.
- Background in computer science, mathematics, or similar quantitative field with a minimum of 8 years professional experience
- A proven ability to manage, cultivate, and grow teams of engineers and analysts
- Experience with designing and implementing business intelligence and reporting solutions at scale and in production utilizing Tableau, Looker, Microstrategy, Sisense, or similar.
- Experience with the practical application of data warehousing concepts, methodologies, and frameworks using traditional (Vertica, Teradata, etc.) and modern (SparkSQL, Hadoop, Kafka) distributed technologies
- SQL, data modeling, and relational database experience
- SparkSQL, Hive, Druid, Cassandra, Solr, or other big data query engine experience a plus
- Advanced skills using one or more scripting languages (e.g., Python, bash, etc.) a plus
- Experience with applying data encryption and data security standards
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to a business-focused audience
- Most importantly, a sense of humor and an eagerness to learn
Serve as the team lead for a group for designing and implementing reporting and data warehouse technologies supporting both online and offline consumption by business stakeholders. Partner with business and analytics teams to understand specific requirements for data systems to support both development and deployment of data workloads. Partner with various engineering teams to source data for business intelligence and analytics capabilities Design and implement data models / tools to facilitate ad hoc query and improve access to data across all levels of the organization. Requires a strong understanding of the intersection between business, analytics, and engineering resulting in a proactive approach, focusing on reusable solutions, to improve efficiency and time to insight. Must be able to work in a rapidly changing environment and perform effectively in a sprint-based, agile development environment.
Education & Experience
BS or MS Computer Science, Mathematics, or similar quantitative field.