Battery Management System Lead Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming outstanding products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! Are you interested to work on the forefront of Battery Management Systems? In this role you will develop future BMS technologies with a hardworking team of engineers in a highly reciprocal and multi-functional environment. The ideal individual will be proficient in this field, who has experience developing and commercializing robust battery management solutions for consumer, industrial, telecom or automotive products. Be a part of a team developing new class of battery systems involving algorithms, architectures and products to improve the utility of batteries.
- 5 to 10 years of experience in innovative and creative product development in battery management domain.
- Proven experience of developing battery management solutions using latest embedded controllers and mixed signal peripherals.
- Experience with customer interfacing to understand their system, requirements, and problems to define a system level solution.
- Experience in demonstrating leadership in collaborative environments with multiple internal and external technology partners.
- Experienced in developing engineering requirement specification for BMS systems and the functional decomposition into BMW HW, FW, SW, IC solutions.
- Experienced in mixed signal board level schematics designs with emphasis on working with different types of ADCs, DACs and discrete power FETs and other components.
- Experienced in working with silicon teams to drive BMS hardware requirements/specifications, architecture/feature trade-offs and design compliance.
- Familiar with battery management algorithms and their interaction with HW, FW, application platform systems, and manufacturing practices.
- Familiarity with detailed workings of different battery chemistries and their limitations.
- Familiarity with battery models and simulation tools like Matlab is a plus
Our systems team within the Battery Management System (BMS) organization is a critical and highly reciprocal team that bridges the domain/knowledge gap between the application platform and the internal/external technology teams to define and deliver a distributed BMS that enables the application to achieve world-class control on energy and power throughout the entire product life-cycle. 1. Translating a deep comprehension of the application system’s challenges, problems, and roadmap into the BMS domain that includes algorithm, firmware, and hardware 2. Driving the convergence of distributed BMS architecture's among the different technology components partners and synthesizing sub-system requirements and specifications 3. Synthesizing BMS roadmap, architecture, and system designs that are solutions to both identified and foreseeable application platform problems 4. Leading multi-functional teams to execute the roadmap and validating a BMS system before delivery to the application 5. Embedding resources within the application and multi-functional teams to integrate the BMS into the platform and then supporting the application platform verification & validation 6. Identifying the right problems to solve longer term R&D Within the BMS system group, the lead system engineer is responsible for the BMS within an application platform. The system engineer will simultaneously lead the validation/integration on the next generation product, define the roadmap for following product, and innovate the architecture of future products. The lead system engineer will be supported by system technology engineers within the system group that will have deep application knowledge of the sub-systems and by the technology teams within the BMS organization.
Education & Experience
MS or PhD desired in Physics or Electrical Engineering
- Strong aptitude towards detailed and rigorous work emphasizing on simple and elegant designs for mass production. Strong presentation and leadership skills. Ability to develop reciprocal networks among peers and multi-functional teams quickly. Excellent written and verbal communication and social skills. Self-starter with excellent time management skills and visionary spirit. Relies on data to support technical decisions. Travel to suppliers and manufacturing facilities expected.