Senior Toxicologist / Senior Biocompatibility Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do at Apple. Do you care about how products perform, what makes them delightful yet keeps them safe and user-friendly in the deepest sense? Do you ever consider how much attention is put into Apple’s product design allows us to uphold user trust and confidence? The engineering team in Apple’s cutting-edge Product Safety group is responsible for ensuring our products meet international safety standards and regulations, but also exceed those requirements to befit Apple’s expectations. Apple's Safer Materials and Biocompatibility team is seeking a toxicology professional to conduct toxicological assessments of materials used in the production of Apple products. We will look to you to identify substances that may be potentially hazardous to human health. You will work closely with Apple’s product design teams, program managers, and suppliers to track the use of materials, identify substances of concern, investigate safer alternatives, and support implementation of chemical substitution programs.
- Minimum of 3 years relevant industry experience in toxicology or equivalent field
- Expertise in hazard identification, skin irritation/sensitization, risk assessment of substances, including alternative risk assessment methodologies
- Experience with ISO 10993 and assessing materials for biocompatibility
- Knowledge/experience with alternative testing methodologies and prediction models
- Experience building dossiers, developing SOPs & test protocols
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to technical and non-technical audiences
- Proven ability to excel in a dynamic, schedule-driven environment
This position is offered in Apple's Environmental Technologies group of Apple's Hardware Engineering division. Our mission is to deliver the world's leading programs on the elimination of hazardous substances, improved material and energy efficiency, as well as design for environment. Apple believes that major improvements in environmental performance will be delivered through product design innovations. We rely on your expertise in assessments on the toxic nature of chemical substances of materials used in the manufacture of wearable and non-wearable products that meet the prolonged skin contact requirements. You will focus primarily on the calculation of exposure to chemical substances, evaluation of their inherent hazardous properties, and identification of potential risks from the use of materials in Apple products and processes. You will be a major contributor in building Apple specifications, policies, and processes that place limitations on substances that are potentially hazardous to human health. You will contribute to the development of novel test methodologies to identify restricted substances and potential risks. You will also work with cross-functional partners, program managers and suppliers towards alternative assessments that identify safer substances and support substitution programs with suppliers.
Education & Experience
- PhD in toxicology or related field with 3 + years experience in an industry setting - MS in toxicology or related field with 10 + years experience in an industry setting - DABT certification is a plus