Accessibility Software Standards Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Do you want to shape the future of technology and accessibility? Are you interested in improving the lives of people with disabilities? Apple’s Accessibility Engineering Team is looking for an Accessibility Software Standards Engineer who will represent the voice of Apple Accessibility Engineering with standards bodies around the world. In this role, you will be part of the team that builds Apple’s world renowned accessibility products, such as VoiceOver, Switch Control, Made for iPhone Hearing Aids, Guided Access, and more. You will collaborate with teams inside Apple and engage with international standards groups on accessibility standards, particularly those pertaining to the World Wide Web, Bluetooth and other wireless protocols, human interface devices (HID), audio/video formats and transport, software user interfaces of new emerging technologies, and associated regulatory standards.
- Key Qualifications
- Knowledgable of the major tenets of accessible design and practical software development.
- Experienced in accessibility recommendations of industry standards bodies such as the W3C, ECMA, IEEE, ISO, Bluetooth, USB-IF(HID), ETSI, etc.
- Understand technologies and protocols that form the basis of the World Wide Web.
- Writing, speaking, presentation, and other interpersonal skills are excellent.
- Upbeat, adaptable, and results-oriented with a positive attitude.
- Standout colleague, able to communicate with affected groups across the company and synthesize the best ideas into a coherent position.
- Excellent judgment and integrity with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Problem solver and strong collaborator with extraordinary interpersonal skills, and a track record of working with senior leaders.
- Self-motivated and proactive with proven creative and critical thinking capabilities.
- Can prioritize, drive, and track initiatives on a daily basis
- Passionate and dedicated to your job. You are committed to Apple’s vision and to supporting the accessibility community.
As a standardization engineer, you will represent Apple in the international standards community, providing a clear position on our accessibility analysis of newly proposed standards, and influencing and driving those standards towards better accessibility. These standards include: • Web standards such as HTML, CSS, ARIA, etc. • Continuous media such as captioning and audio description. • Communication standards such as real-time text (RTT) • Device interaction protocols such as the new Braille HID standard. You will lead investigations to define our strategic direction for upcoming standards initiatives. You will work closely with multi-functional project teams to identify priorities, develop strategies, and implement a global plan to advance Apple’s Accessibility efforts in a way that is in harmony with key standards. You will serve as a “one stop shop” to advise teams on accessibility considerations and applicable standards, and you will link them with appropriate resources. You will present Apple’s message to key external constituents in private and public endeavors. You will attend and contribute to standards meetings to help ensure that appropriate standards are in place to support new technologies, and to support regulation that advances the industry. This position requires substantial travel.
Education & Experience
B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Expertise in the following areas is a plus but not required:
- • Knowledge of accessibility APIs and features, especially Apple’s
- • Familiarity with WebKit source or another browser rendering engine implementation. (Chromium, Gecko, etc.)
- • Ability to distill broad concepts and intentions into clear specifications.
- • Experience with governmental standards bodies such as the US Access Board, FCC Disability Advisory Committee, European Commission, and the United Nations DESA.