Utility Power and Regulatory Manager, Global Energy & Sustainability Team
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The Utility Power and Regulatory Manager on the Global Energy & Sustainability Team is responsible for managing utility power system contracts, negotiations, gas supply agreements, and utility regulatory matters for Apple corporate, retail, and data center facilities globally. This includes identification of utility power and gas needs, negotiation of utility service agreements, analyzing and negotiating optimal tariff structures, managing ongoing utility contracts, tracking utility policy and regulatory developments, and participating in Apple’s interventions in utility proceedings. Includes deep collaboration with real estate project managers, data center managers, retail managers, government affairs, corporate procurement, legal department, and members of the environment, policy, and social initiatives team.
- Strong experience negotiating and managing utility service agreements and interconnection agreements for large power-consuming facilities such as data centers.
- Deep knowledge of utility tariff structures and rate analysis capabilities, including negotiating custom tariffs with utilities and direct access energy service providers.
- Experience with tracking and analyzing utility expenditures, and developing strategies to manage utility spending.
- Understanding and experience with utility policy, regulation, and public utility regulatory proceedings.
- Knowledge of wholesale power markets, including energy, capacity, and ancillary services markets, pricing, and settlement.
- Experience managing utility incentive applications, verifications, and payments.
- Understanding and interest in renewable energy development, contracts, policies, and environmental sustainability.
- Working technical knowledge of electric power systems: transmission, substations, protection, interconnections, etc.
- Experience with diverse international energy markets, including Europe and Asia-Pacific.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills and ability to collaborate seamlessly with diverse colleagues in an unstructured environment.
Negotiate and manage utility service agreements for a global array of corporate facilities, retail stores, and data centers. Collaborate closely with internal Apple clients from respective business units to identify forward-looking needs. Analyze facility energy loads, and negotiate favorable utility rate structures to minimize costs and maximize flexibility and optionality of Apple operations. Track ongoing utility expenditures and develop strategies to manage energy spending. Track utility regulations and regulatory proceedings in key states with major Apple facilities. Work with government affairs and legal personnel, along with external partners and consultants, to identify and participate in select regulatory intervention opportunities in key Apple jurisdictions. Collaborate closely with colleagues on the Global Energy & Sustainability Team to drive forward Apple’s vision for universal clean and affordable energy.
Education & Experience
BA/BS degree in engineering, economics, public policy, or other relevant field with 5+ years of professional experience focused on electric and gas utility systems, contracts, rates, markets, and regulation.