Engineering Program Manager - iCloud Site Reliability Engineering / Cloudkit
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Apple’s iCloud SRE team is looking for dynamic project managers to help build and run services that millions of customers use every day. We are looking for star performers to drive projects that impact the CloudKit customer experience. You will have Linux systems and software development experience in addition to project management expertise. As a project manager for SRE, you’ll be partnered with a team whose mission it is to build, maintain and improve Apple’s most critical cloud services. We’re looking for hardworking, passionate people to join our amazing team where we focus on extraordinary service availability, scalability and security while defining standards, implementing standard methodologies and improving operational efficiency. If you love non-routine work that requires social intelligence, complex critical thinking and creative problem solving, we’d love to hear from you!
- Self starter with 3+ years previous experience as member of technical team responsible for production operability within a client/server internet application environment.
- Expert project manager familiar with handling end-to-end lifecycles for IT programs in large scale global datacenter environments.
- Exposure to setting up and running agile process frameworks.
- Strong sense of ownership, customer service, and integrity through clear, concise communication and presentation.
- A problem solver with excellent social and diplomacy skills.
- Experience automating tasks by writing programs or scripts using a languages or tools such as: Shell, C, Java, Ruby, Python or Perl.
- Understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as: HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP, ICMP, the OSI Model and load balancing.
- Experience designing mobile or web applications with availability, scalability, latency and supportability in mind.
- Experience analyzing distributed systems in a development, QA or globally distributed production environment.
You will lead efforts that produce results and increase the reliability and efficiency of iCloud services. Aligned with a partner SRE manager while working closely with software development to understand technical requirements and infrastructure and financial teams to ensure adequate compute, storage & network capacity for new and existing features. Implement agile process to enable efficiencies across organizations for problem tracking, and SRE backlog. You will identify and eliminate project ambiguity, ensure clarity and clarify goals and timelines. You will develop a broad perspective, identify new projects to champion and strategize how to pull in required teams to address obstacles and ensure communication with your partners. You will build and maintain a detailed portfolio of complex technical projects and continually strive to meet deadlines within constraints. Be the communicator! Everyone on the project knows what is going on. Status is honestly and accurately communicated. You're comfortable speaking to groups and can present one-pagers, POCs and architectural overviews clearly and effectively. Show ownership and accountability to partners while you track progress and handle blocks to ensure projects arrive on time and under budget. Identify inefficiencies related to core SRE programs while being responsible for the building or adoption of automation tools to address. Participate in forecasting discussions to help develop a detailed BOM that speaks to reliable infrastructure requirements needed by partner teams. Influence service architecture direction, design and standards by establishing relationships with hardware engineering, software development and datacenter teams. Break down projects and responsibilities rationally while paying close attention to detail so you can apply the right process for the given requirements and team. Drive meetings to establish and document the scope of the project, known risks, dependencies and any other relevant information. You will offer informed perspective on what should be included / excluded by partnering with the SRE engineering manager. Plan and maintain the schedule for the project, establishing milestones, achievements, and work breakdowns. Establish the development process with the team to assign and track work.
Education & Experience
Bachelors degree in computer science or related field or equivalent work experience along with project management training. PMP certification preferred.