Retail Product Design Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple is seeking a product design engineer to join the Retail Product Display team. This diverse group of engineers design integrated hardware solutions for retail spaces and special Apple events like new product announcements, developer conferences, and store openings. These solutions are crafted to produce the best possible first customer experience and introduction to Apple products. Ideally, you are someone who approaches problem solving with creativity and curiosity. Within our team, your responsibilities will span technology development and concept generation to detailed design, analysis, and testing through mass production of complex assemblies. The Retail Product Display team values engineers with a desire to acquire new skills and will offer professional development and the opportunity to learn and apply knowledge in many engineering disciplines including material selection, machine design, manufacturing processes (CNC, injection molding, sheet metal stamping, etc), stress and failure analyses, PCB integration, and cosmetic finishing. You should be an excellent communicator who is able to fluently collaborate with cross-functional teams within Apple like the Industrial Design Group as well as external suppliers.
- 2+ years of experience in mechanical design. (Internships and co-op experiences are included.)
- The candidate must have experience working in a collaborative environment and be self-motivated to identify and drive resolution on design issues across multiple projects.
- The ability to articulate design issues in quantitative terms both verbally and with documentation is required.
- A passion for functional design and an appreciation for detail is required.
- You must be able to travel internationally.
- Computer industry experience not required. Serious consideration will be given to qualified candidates from other analytical fields with robust engineering fundamentals.
• Developing initial product architectures and new technology concept investigations • Designing 3D models of mechanisms and drafting 2D documentation of all parts and assemblies • Partnering with the industrial design team to refine aesthetics and customer experience • Building physical models to evaluate functionality, manufacturability, and robustness • Generating and accepting constructive feedback in brainstorming and design review forums • Performing tolerance analyses to verify performance of mechanisms and cosmetic specifications in the presence of high volume dimensional variation • Collaborating with operations teams to evaluate and develop supply chains capable of manufacturing new subsystems and products • Interacting with external vendors to develop manufacturing processes and tooling concepts • Analyzing data generated from vendor builds and lab experiments • Traveling both domestically and internationally to piece part and assembly vendors to realize the physical design and finding root cause for failures
Education & Experience
• A bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering is required.