Mechanical Engineer - Exploratory Design Engineering (XDE)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Dynamic, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple Hardware products. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every single day. Apple’s Exploratory Design Engineering group is seeking an enthusiastic mechanical engineer to join a team of highly innovative scientists and engineers to design, validate, develop, and implement novel technologies. You will be self-driven with initiative. He or she must have multi-disciplinary skills with a focus in fundamental engineering principals.
- You will have 7 years of experience
- With a wide variety of fabrication processes, and demonstrated skill at modeling, documenting and communicating component/module/product designs from initial concept to final assembly
- Conceptualizing consumer electronic products, demonstrating a deep understanding of system level tradeoffs as well as the detail design of associated components
- Designing, building, and iterating hardware that enables investigations which determine/qualify/verify/identify the viability of key product features, functions, or failures
- Working cross-functionally, especially with EE’s, optical engineers, physicists, manufacturing engineers, industrial engineers, and vendors
- Working with EE’s to define the mechanical/thermal features of printed circuit boards and flexible printed circuits
- PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Flexibility - Able to work on a wide variety of problems, with a wide variety of experts, drawing on a solid foundation of engineering principals, and the level appropriate to the task at hand (i.e. from high level to detailed)
- Quick Learner - Able to delve into new problems and triage what’s important to know, learn, clarify, investigate, etc. in order to make timely, effective progress towards solving the problem.
- Experience operating 3D printers, laser cutters, milling machines, lathes, misc hand tools, etc. to build prototypes, etc.
- BONUS QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERIENCE:
- NX modeling/drafting
- ANSYS Finite element analysis (thermal and/or structural modeling)
- electromechanical (robotics, controls, firmware)
- Silicon fabrication/packaging experience
- Experience integrating optics (lasers, CCDs, lenses, gratings, etc) into consumer electronics devices
As an XDE ME, you will have the following responsibilities: - Work with other engineers to create and iterate your designs to yield robust, easily implemented mechanical systems. - Understand and communicate different design approaches and associated tradeoffs to all cross-functional partners. - Participate and present your designs in cross-functional system design reviews.
Education & Experience
Minimum BS in ME required.