AI/ML Engineering Program Manager, Core Privacy & Foundation Technologies
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Machine Learning and AI
Apple's Core Machine Learning team is seeking an experienced program manager to lead highly cross-functional technology efforts focused on privacy-preserving and foundational hardware-accelerated machine learning technologies. This is an opportunity to own and lead new ML initiatives and technologies for stakeholders both inside and outside of Apple. This role requires an energetic and motivated individual with strong communication, organization, and relationship-building skills who works well in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. You will partner with engineering teams that deliver cutting-edge on-device performant machine learning solutions while inherently respecting and actively protecting customer privacy. As a member of the AI/ML EPM team, you will be responsible for developing, driving, and shipping powerful, flexible, and secure ML frameworks and providing product guidance and strategy to new customer-facing features that millions of customers around the world will use.
- You will be expected to facilitate and drive the right cross-functional conversations to make the ML Foundation & Privacy roadmaps both focused and compelling; push the envelope to plan features and technologies that will increase the intelligence and capabilities of our app ecosystem and Apple devices while steadfastly protecting user privacy. You will be driving collaboration and communication efforts both inside and outside of Apple, including representing Core ML at Apple WWDC (World Wide Developer Conference).
- Provide comprehensive and effective ownership of large projects and features from inception through delivery; overseeing specifications, scope, requirements, timelines, and resource allocation. This ownership includes communicating all levels of project planning, development status, and executive reviews. This role is expected to be very autonomous and to constantly turn ideas into action and creatively overcome obstacles.
- Your portfolio will cover multiple areas, including customer-facing features with UI elements; development and improvement of on-device ML components; client and server work; focus on internal & external adoption of Core ML technologies; better collaboration with Apple Security, Privacy, and HW teams, and team-level representation of Core ML Foundation & Privacy efforts.
- You will need to build and maintain new and existing relationships across Apple AI/ML organization, first-party App teams, the OS teams, relevant HW (Apple Neural Engine) teams, Privacy & Security, Marketing & Evangelism & Worldwide Developer Relations, Legal, and other Apple programs. Responsibilities include fostering trust and collaboration, negotiating alignment of priorities, and communicating and driving completion of dependencies. Making sure that good decisions are made by the right people is your priority.
- 5+ years as a Project or Program Manager on large-scale customer-facing feature development. - Has shipped at least one large (multiple months of development) software feature to customers in a principal leadership role through the entire life cycle (planning, executing, and shipping). - Has been in a role that requires working cross-functionally with multiple teams; software and hardware engineering as well as other PMs, privacy, design, security, marketing, legal, and others. - Has been in a role that owns providing regular executive-level project and program status in both written and verbal form. - Knowledge of software engineering best practices and related dependencies. - Have a spotless record of reliability and integrity representing your products, program, and engineering organization; a demonstrable history of delivering what you promise when you promise it.
Education & Experience
BS/MS EE/CS/CE or equivalent.
- - Experience shipping multiple global consumer-facing features at a large company where software is one of their primary products.
- - Professional experience working on products or projects involving machine learning; especially on-device ML, ML-optimized hardware, or efforts with a privacy/security-related focus.