Apple Media Products, Lead Commerce Performance Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The AMP Commerce team is looking for a passionate senior engineer to drive the vision and alignment for performance and operation for the new subscription purchase and fulfillment experience for Apple Services. These services include Apple Music, iCloud Storage, Apple News+, ATV+, Apple Arcade, and all 3rd party subscriptions sold in the Apple Ecosystem. The AMP Commerce system generates billions of dollars in revenue each month and serves billions of transactions daily. If you have worked on multi-functional performance/scalability/optimization projects involving areas such as optimizing the subscription auto renewal flow, adding a proven technology to reduce latency, automating monitoring of a commerce system via metrics, and like the intersection of engineering and business, we want to talk to you.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in performance engineering and benchmarking
- Exceptional coding skills in one of the following: Java (preferred), C++ or C
- Passionate to optimize the performance bottlenecks with profiling tools and improve the product / user experience
- Expert in distributed computing system and stack
- Experience in tackling operational problems of load, scale, and optimizations of complex large-scale server deployments
- Strong problem-solving, object-oriented design and analytical skills
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work closely with others and cross-functionally
- Ability to influence cross functionally - be able to bring people together toward the common goal of performance improvement
- Able to effectively hold other teams accountable while maintaining good working relations with them
Come explore this exciting job opportunity with our world-class AMP Commerce Engineering team. We are looking for a seasoned, creative performance engineer to play a key role in building a culture of engineering performant systems as well as to help us focus on the scalability and performance of our products and create meaningful benchmarks for the best customer experience. You have an opportunity to tune different parts of the commerce system while taking a wholistic approach. You will define, develop, and measure benchmarks of the existing commerce system using cutting edge technologies. This job will require you to debug server-side performance issues, efficiently profile and identify performance and concurrency bottlenecks. This includes investigating site performance issues in production. You will work collaboratively with a large group of engineers/SRE's and propose and implement the suggested optimizations. You can provide visibility to what is going on for the current budgeted commerce system so you can run performance and capacity experiments to determine how to scale and utilize various commerce service tiers. You will effectively drive and communicate your vision and ideas around better performance governance across the commerce team. A main focus will be around the subscription aspects in the commerce system.These interactions include the various commerce events of auto renewal of subscriptions, buying service subscription, preorder fulfillment purchases, billing retry events, etc., have occurred through normal randomness now need to be ordered with forecast. For each of these events, there is a wide range of viable performance fixes from optimizing a specific query in Oracle with DBA’s, to a proposal to rearchitect the system to use a different technology. With millions of paying subscribers globally situated, we need a groundbreaking individual who can bring systems level performance experience to bear on the problems with the goal of overall performance improvement across the entire commerce system.
Education & Experience
BS in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent experience. MS preferred.