Data Engineering Manager, Video Product Analytics, Apple Media Products
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
The Apple Media Products (AMP) team is an exciting environment and a fast-paced development organization. With customers in 155 countries, we are a thriving marketplace for Video, Music, Books - and, of course, Apps. Our Video Analytics Data Engineering team is responsible for building analytics platforms, datasets and processes required in Apple for analyzing and enhancing the video product experience. This means that we build computation platforms and datasets to empower our product features, analytics and data science. Given the size and complexity of our datasets this is not a trivial task. Our business, analysts and product teams depends on this data, and as a member of this team you would be at the center of product innovation. We are looking for a data engineering leader who can partner with our product, business analysts & engineering to deliver data engineering solutions for Video Product Analytics. Your team of data engineers will directly interact with product engineers, business operations and analytics leaders to build product insights, reports for business and datasets to power our features like search and recommendations. Whether your team builds new patterns and algorithms for efficient processing of datasets with billions of records or delivers new insights for Video Product Analytics, you will have the opportunity to lead and grow a team of world class engineers. The projects you and your team will be working on will be truly impactful. You will have freedom to innovate as you work closely with our partners to see the big picture, and figure out innovative ways to deliver the results. The best person will be an individual with exceptional leadership skills with hands on experience in Data Engineering.
- You're ambitious and willing to take action, but not stubborn. You recognize when you're wrong and move past your own mistakes.
- You’re not afraid of hard conversations and sharing your perspective.
- You’re a natural leader but your team & colleagues see your humility.
- You’re not a micro manager. You prefer to give context, delegate, and watch amazing people exceed your hopes and expectations.
- You listen and communicate well.
- You have used big data technologies (i.e. Spark/MapReduce/Hadoop/Pig, etc…) and built large scale data pipelines
- You have experience working with data at extreme scale
- You have a software engineering background with significant coding experience (java or scala)
- You have used SQL and reporting tools in your career and are analytically savvy.
- You are still hands on with coding and developing
- Engineering: You have strong development background and can provide technical leadership to the team. Capable to contribute to design and development of complex data engineering problems. Be able to provide feedback and collaborate with the team, perform code reviews. - Operations: You know what it takes to operationalize and run large scale production data pipelines and systems - Recruiting: You will be responsible to find talent and have ability to recognize and attract top-tier engineers to your team. You understand the importance of building an amazing team and the value it brings to the overall company. - Coach: You see people’s strengths/weaknesses and are both gifted and courageous in talking with them about it. - Visionary: You intuitively understand business and technology and you leverage that to guide a team providing relevant context and inspiration. - Partnership: You establish strong relationships with both business and technical leaders across organizations.
Education & Experience
B.S. or higher in Computer Science or equivalent