Site Reliability Engineer
Austin, Texas, United States
Software and Services
We at Apple build stuff to amaze our end users with ultra fast thoughtfully designed and carefully crafted solutions. We are not just any client engineering team but a highly motivated fast paced and ever evolving closely knit team of individuals looking to get more to scale to new heights.We have a thing for coders like yourself who don’t stop at mediocrity or don’t settle for anything less than flawless. The only thing constant is change and we are not afraid of changing the status quo. Apple's Service Management Engineering team is looking for a highly technical and motivated Site Reliability Engineer to build and run the services that our customers use every day. The strongest applicants will have both solid Linux / Systems expertise and demonstrated Software Development chops. Our customers count on us to provide exceptional availability, scalability and security for services. As an SRE in Customer Systems, you'll be on a diverse team of Engineers with end-to-end responsibility of the applications we own. You’ll be improving our automation tool suite and develop new tools to improve the team’s efficiency and/or improve our product quality. Along with utilizing your technical skills, you will have the opportunity to let your creative juices flowing. You will work very closely with Front end Backend Engineers as well as our Operation Support group to design, develop and operate the best development support and automation tools you can imagine. Are you up to the challenge?
- Strong sense of ownership, customer service, and integrity demonstrated through clear communication.
- Demonstrated ability to write programs using a high-level programming language like: C, Java, Ruby, Python, or Perl.
- Proclivity towards efficient programming emphasizing improvement via complexity analysis.
- Experience managing large numbers of diverse systems with containers (Docker), build systems (Jenkins, Ansible, Spinnaker), and infrastructure as a service (Kubernetes, AWS)
- Deep understanding of the Linux Operating System, including Kernel, Memory, Process, Threads, Static / Shared Libraries, IPC, Signals.
- Understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as: HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP, ICMP, the OSI Model, Subnetting and Load Balancing.
- Fundamental understanding of distributed systems including: Micro services, Messaging Brokers and Versioning
- Passion for eliminating repetitive manual processes using automation.
You are a forward-thinking problem solver, quick learner, self starter, and excellent communicator with a passion for shipping quality products. Architect, author and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability and security of Apple’s Repair services. Build and manage systems, infrastructure and applications through automation. Develop automation tools and other tools to improve the Engineering team’s efficiency Deploy, support and monitor new and existing services, platforms, and application stacks. Use scale testing to measure, tune and optimization system performance.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent 6+ years industry experience
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills
- Experience in working in a large enterprise, with a global environment, across multiple timezones and geographies
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills and ability to multi-task
- To be successful you are self-motivated; driven to achieve and exceed expectations
- Attention to detail
- Comfortable working in a loosely structured organization